351W swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
351W swap

Was wondering if a 1990 5.8l EFI motor would be a direct swap with a 1995 5.0L. New at this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, not totally a direct swap. The motor mounts and transmission case are the same, so you are good there. The 302 has a different balance on the flywheel or flex plate, so depending on the transmission the donor 351 had compared to your old 302, you may need to find a different flywheel or flex plate. The heads are about two inches farther apart, so if you have a single exhaust header pipe there's another deal, sometimes the single header pipe can be cut in the correct place and a piece added in to make work. The heads being two inches farther apart also may make a little work with the accessories on the front of the engine.

They moved the ignition module from the side of the distributor, to the fender well starting in 1992. That's another thing you will have to figure out how to deal with.

All this is probably not as difficult to deal with as it sounds. Any questions, ask and I will try to answer them.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:58 PM
I have the complete engine from so the accessories I think I will be ok with. I actually have a whole truck but doesnt have title so can drive it. The one question I have is the harness looks like it will match except for the distributor plug. Its a wider skinnier plug but has the same six color wires going into it. Is there an adapter for this so it will match up and fit to the 351 distributor.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:09 PM
I doubt if there is any adapter available. The big difference is the 90 had the ignition module mounted on the distributor, and the 95 has the ignition module mounted on the driver side fenderwell. I'm not sure how you would deal with this.

Also I was just reading where they went from a map system to a maf system in late 94 or early 95. I don't know what problems that may cause you. That is something I totally don't understand. Wish I could help you more, good luck.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Would I just be able to swap out the distributor for a later year one that is compatible with the harness. Or is this not my problem.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Ok I went to a guy who knows just about anything you want to know about fords. The solution is just to get a newer distributor. Thanks for your help on this issue.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by shockey6687
Ok I went to a guy who knows just about anything you want to know about fords. The solution is just to get a newer distributor. Thanks for your help on this issue.
From what I have read, these distributors come with either steel or cast iron gears. Make sure the distributor you get has the same material of gear as your old distributor or you will ruin the gear that drives it on the camshaft.

Quick Reply: 351W swap