99 F150 5.4 stumbles while heating up

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 99 F150 5.4 stumbles while heating up

My truck began 'stumbling' when the engine is not quite to operating temperature. I call it 'stumbling' since it feels more like running an engine with incorrect A/F ratio rather than a misfire. But when heated up it's much better but still has an occasional problem that now feels like a misfire! It actually does better with the A/C on.

No codes or check engine light.

I only have about 128K miles on the truck and the plugs were replace at about 85K when a plug coil went bad.

Before I spend a bunch of money letting Ford randomly replace stuff... does anyone have an idea what the real problem might be?

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably another cop, if good plugs were used.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford scores $$ but now it runs like new

Not aware of a convenient and knowledgeable Ford mechanic in the Duluth, GA area other than the dealership. So here I go for the high dollar fix. They found 2 COP's that were 'weak', No. 3 and No. 5 cylinders. After replacing the COP's, two plugs, decarbonizing and $623 she runs like new again!

Not bad when I think about it.... a 15 yr old truck I've only spent about $1200 dollars on in what I consider abnormal repairs. 3 COP's, a fuel pump, and a passenger side door lock.

Quick Reply: 99 F150 5.4 stumbles while heating up