Engine Coolant Temp sensor (ECT) thread Size for swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Coolant Temp sensor (ECT) thread Size for swap

I am wrapping up a 1998 4.6L to 1999 5.4L swap and reached the part to where I need to tap the Intake cross member for the Engine Coolant Temp sensor (ECT). Does anybody know the thread size for that sensor. I need to get the tap and drill set. I am pretty sure it 17x1.5 but not 100% sure. Since I can find no place close to me that sell taps, or even metric bolts, this size I am going to need to order online so would like to get it correct first time. Thanks!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:57 PM
There is a much easier way to do this... and cheaper.
The thread is a 3/8" pipe thread. Go to Depot or Lowes and head to the plumbing section. Buy a nipple and a cross.
Thread the nipple and cross together and get it tight!
Then thread the other end of the nipple to the intake.
Thread one sensor to the top and one into the right(you might need a nipple and coupler here so that the sensors don't hit in the cross. Can't remember).
Then thread the coolant reducer to the left side of the cross being careful to counter torque when tightening to prevent damaging the intake.

Make sure you buy non chrome, galv or stainless to prevent galvanic corrosion. Only use plain "black" coated parts. Use sensor safe sealant too.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Thanks. That sounds much easier. I will give it a try.
Maybe you can help me with another question. The 5.4L has the coolant line running from Heater core (at least I am pretty sure that where it runs from) to the right side of the TB and then from the right side of the TB to the coolant reducer (Tower) in the intake. Since the 4.6 does not have either of these I was simply going to remove the 5.4L coolant reducer and cap the lines out of the TB. Would there be any issues in doing this?? Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Engine Coolant Temp sensor (ECT) thread Size for swap