2009 5.4 Question??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 5.4 Question??

First of all sorry for the long read:

Alright so my wife has a 2009 Ford Expo that only has 66000 miles and here in the last month or so I notice a slight tapping in the engine, then about a week later we went on a road trip but had the oil changed right before, but on the return home I noticed a big time loss of power upon acceleration in 3rd gear. It starts up fine and runs just fine minus the tap but after we leave a light or stop sign and accelerate to highways speeds (not flooring it) 1st and 2nd are good but once it gets to third the rpms continue to increase but the car feels extremely sluggish and theres serious loss of power...it Starts to shake and chug a little..once it gets to about 60 its chills out...But the same thing happens when you floor it or try to down shift to pass. So we took it to one shop they said it wasn't throwing ny codes at all and did a number of tests but to no avail..They said maybe due up for some new plugs but they didn't really think it needed it due to mileage. SO off to helfman it went they called me a day later to tell me they put a pressure gauge on the oil pump and the pressure was extremely erratic. Then they also pulled the timing cover and checked for play in the crank and found that it had a lot of play...The diagnosis...supposedly the crank shaft because of play had caused damage to the internals and they want minimum 800 just to open the engine up and run through the internals...I understand the cost on that but they are thinkin the engine is gonna need to be replaced... Total cost of around 7700 plus tax...So long story short im just floored, I just cant believe or see how this low mileage vehicle can suffer such catastrophic damage when its had every oil change done every 3000 like normal since it was brand new...They also mentioned it could be a cam phasor sensor...but hell who knows...He just said it was a possibility...So now im so freaking torn and ****** about the whole situation I not sure which direction to go here....Do I spend multiple thousands of dollars trying to get to the bottom of it and get it fixed or just trade in? I only owe 4000 more on it...... Would love to hear if any others have ever run into this issue on this new of a vehicle???? Sorry for the long read but I appreciate every tidbit...

Old 06-29-2014, 10:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is this a Ford dealer service department?

Old 06-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jethat
Is this a Ford dealer service department?
yes sir it is

Old 06-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well there are better and there are worse. Sounds like you got the latter.

Quick Reply: 2009 5.4 Question??