Need some clarification on phaser job

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some clarification on phaser job

Hi All

I am going to tackle the cam phaser, chains, guides, and tensiors this weekend on my 2005 f150

I have been doing lots of research and I feel pretty confident in doing this job myself.

I just wanted to clarify a few things.

1. As long as the crank key way is at the 12 o'clock position and I have everything locked down so it doesn't move. I should just be able to remove the old phasers and put the new ones on lining up my marks.

2. I plan on just using vice grips clamped on behind the phaser to keep the cam from moving. How much tension is on the cam?

If there is any other bits of info anybody has that would help please let me know

Thanks
Jeff

Old 05-20-2014, 09:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when you are done, rotate the motor over several times to make sure you don't feel any resistance. because if you do feel resistance when you rotate the motor, you probably have valve touching piston and you would have to find your problem and fix it before you start it.. most likely as long as nothing moves and everything lines up youll be fine. rotating the motor is more of a safety precaution

Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the input.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Well I am half way done with the cam phaser job. I just have to put everything back together. It was definitely the time to do this job. Both seals on the tensioners where gone. The guide on the pass. side was cracked around the mounting hole to the top bolt. and the other one showed signs of wear. The chain on the drivers side was really loose to the point to where it was starting to hit the timing cover. I am really glad I done this job now before it got any worse.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Need some clarification on phaser job