low oil presure

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
low oil presure

Have 2005 FX4 5.4, was put into shop last week to have work done on the front end. While they had it on the rack I asked to have the oil changed.when i returned to pick up my truck they informed me that when they drained the oil probley 2qts drained out. Prior to the oil change the truck seemed to run fine except for coil pac problems ( I'll get to that in a min.). Went to pick up the truck and when I started it in ran really ruff and loud for a few seconds then stopped, drove the truck home about five miles away. Shut off a couple of times as I was pulling up my drive way. Took the truck back to the stop and hooked it up to the computer and it showed codes for the timing belt sensor and crank shaft sensor. The mechanic explained to me that with these Ford engines if there ran with low oil it burns up everything. After he began talking about a new engine he mentioned that he could try a flush but it could spin a bearing and I'd be much worse off. So I declined and took the truck home. Took truck to the dealership, about 25 mile away. Ran fine until I turned into the parking lot.(Low idle). I took it to the dealer to solve the coil pack and low idle problems. Did not mention anything to them about the low oil at the time of the oil change days ealier, because the truck ran fine. Dealership replaced all plugs and connecters, all coil pacs, throttle body, and a vacum line. Adjusted the idle. Mechanic took it out for a test drive and the truck ran fine except for the lose of oil presure. They are now figuring the cost of rebuilding mine and the cost of a new one. The mechanic at both places mentioned the bearings, and so did an outside source that I questioned. Any thoughts?

Old 05-19-2014, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have them inspect the oil pick up tube for timing chain guide material plugging it since it ran low on oil, your chains could have been slapping/breaking the guides which end up at the bottom of your pan/pick up tube.

I had low oil pressure issues in my 2003 4.6 liter. pick up tube was very plugged because of the timing chain play/slop/broken guides/chain carving the front cover.... was an ugly site.

Check out this pic of my oil pickup tube.

Last edited by aminoacid; 05-20-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: low oil presure