Does the new 5.0 use a similar variable valve timing system as the 5.4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the new 5.0 use a similar variable valve timing system as the 5.4?

I've been thinking about trading my '07 S'crew in on a new one with the 5.0 liter. I'm wondering if the 5.0 will end up eventually having the same issues (cam phasers, failed tensioners, chain slop, worn guides, bad VCT solenoids, etc) as the system in the 5.4 liter. Sadly it could be a deal killer for me. I can't see dropping the money, just knowing it could be likely that before 100,000 miles I'll be looking at similar issues and tearing into the front of the motor.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:27 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi.

Similar in concept, but with 2 cams per bank it allows for independent control of intake & exhaust cams.

And the phaser mechanism is new as well. Hopefully they elected not to use roll pins

MGD

Old 03-25-2014, 12:05 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I think ALL engines in today's world (or at least in the EPA dominated US) will have the same types of devices. Emissions control and CAFE make it a absolute necessity! Ford and others are always trying to make those systems more reliable but the problem is that at the same time they're trying to make them cheaper so they could get better of they could get worse!

Quick Reply: Does the new 5.0 use a similar variable valve timing system as the 5.4?