P2111/P2104 Throttle body replacement - reprogram?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P2111/P2104 Throttle body replacement - reprogram?

So I got a P2111 today, luckily I was only 3/4 mile from home, and it was mostly downhill. It's a 2005 with the 5.4 triton.

I shut it off after I got it in the garage, and then restarted it immediately. Worked fine.

Shut it off, removed the throttle body and cleaned it with carb cleaner on a rag. It was black, but the accumulation wasn't all that thick.

I have a K&N, which some folks have said can help cause the problem, so I drove up to Autozone (about 6 miles away), bought a new paper filter and some Throttle body cleaner. Made it back home without any issues.

I have to drive up to a convention center in about 10 minutes, working until 9:30 tonight. It's Michigan, so it will be really freaking cold when I get done, and I have my son with me. Worse, the shoulders of all the roads are pretty much closed with giant mounds of snow. No where to pull off if/when it happens again.

Anyway, on to my question. I have read that replacing the throttle body requires reprogram/recalibrate, but I can't find any info on how to do that. What's involved? Are any special tools needed? I have an OBD tool, so I can reset codes, but that's about it.

Thanks,
Walt

Old 02-28-2014, 10:10 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, that's all you should need to do.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:16 PM
Awesome, thanks GLC. That's so easy, even I could do it. Much appreciated.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:06 PM
I got the replacement throttle body today and put it on. Disconnected the battery first for the relearn process, then swapped it out. It only took about 10 minutes, so I took the sensor off the end of the old one while I was waiting for the computer to reset.

I stuck a screwdriver in it and turned it. It initially was slightly stuck, but then it turned freely afterwards, so I'm wondering if that was the culprit. There was quite a bit of dirt in it, as you can see in the pictures. I guess a 0.2 cent o-ring would have been too expensive.

The sensor is around $62 at rockauto, and the whole assembly (which also includes the motor) is 130 with a core deposit, so it's almost worth it to replace the whole thing.

Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  photo3.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  45.5 KB

Haven't driven it yet, but it started up fine, throttle seemed to behave normally.

Quick Reply: P2111/P2104 Throttle body replacement - reprogram?