Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil consumption

After reading on here and doing some 5.4L searches,im a little concerned about my 5.4L F150 I just bought.I've not had the truck for a week,so i don't know if it is gonna burn oil or not,but I sure hope not.It really bugs the crap out of me when a vehicle burns oil.The truck has 117K on it,and runs great.The owner I got it from said it didn't burn oil..But he would have told me anything just to sell the truck,so i can't 100% believe him.When I change my oil I expect it to be full when I change it at 3K miles.All of my previous vehicles never burned any oil and I took care of them,kept the oil and filter changed.Same way with my Dads Fords,he always kept the oil and filter changed and they never burned any oil.But i've read a few on here talking about there 5.4L burning a quart every 1K to 1500 miles..Is this a common problem for the 5.4L??I hope not.I guess time will tell,i just changed the oil yesterday so we will see how it pans out.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tan_F150
After reading on here and doing some 5.4L searches,im a little concerned about my 5.4L F150 I just bought.I've not had the truck for a week,so i don't know if it is gonna burn oil or not,but I sure hope not.It really bugs the crap out of me when a vehicle burns oil.The truck has 117K on it,and runs great.The owner I got it from said it didn't burn oil..But he would have told me anything just to sell the truck,so i can't 100% believe him.When I change my oil I expect it to be full when I change it at 3K miles.All of my previous vehicles never burned any oil and I took care of them,kept the oil and filter changed.Same way with my Dads Fords,he always kept the oil and filter changed and they never burned any oil.But i've read a few on here talking about there 5.4L burning a quart every 1K to 1500 miles..Is this a common problem for the 5.4L??I hope not.I guess time will tell,i just changed the oil yesterday so we will see how it pans out.
surely can understand your perspective...always hard to fully know what that "new to you" set of wheels really is until you get a bit more time to put your butt imprint on the seat & finger prints under the hood.

Another thing that I have noticed about oil consumption & keeping it in check Especially with 5.4 is to change the PVC. Relatively inexpensive to boot. DO your regular maintenance & you'll be happy you with it for some time....but pretty sure you know this already.

If you short trip this, meaning driving less than 6-8 miles , then shut it off for the better part of the day. Don't be surprised to see some white snot on the inside of the oil fill cap. the 5.4's tend to do this. Especially in the winter months. I just take mine for a good drive 20+ miles at least once a week and helps out.

hope things turn out well for you & your truck...

Last edited by enriched; 02-16-2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1k to 1500 is what my lil 4.6 does, but its cold, and i run it hard!

Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't worry about burning oil, you should be more concerned about spitting out spark plugs

Quick Reply: Oil consumption