Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 12-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F-150
Send a message via MSN to Devildog101
2005 5.4 3v loss of power.

Hello,

First off a little history on the truck. 2005 5.4 3v 4x2 with around 58,000 miles on it. Oil changed regularly with 5w20, mostly Castrol Syntec and always a Motorcraft filter (FL820s I think). Regular maintenance to include cleaning the MAF and changing the fuel filter pretty regularly. The truck is mostly used for short trips back and forth to work, maybe 5 miles each way around town.

Now on to the problem:

Today, after backing out of the driveway and taking off, I experienced a total loss of engine power. The engine didnt shut off, didnt run rough or anything like that, but when I would step on the gas, it wouldnt even get out of its own way. It kind of felt like the truck was starting out in a higher gear, but it wasnt. To check this, I put the truck in 1st and drove, still no power. After going a little down the street, coming up to my first stop, I also had a harder than usual time stopping the truck. I didnt have any alerts on my edge or on the dash guages, letting me know of a problem. I pulled over, shut the truck off, then restarted, same thing. After driving it for just a bit longer, it started to warm up and "most" of the power returned.

Any ideas? Any input welcome, please.

On a side note, anyone that has had their truck go into "Fail Safe Mode", that is exactly what it felt like driving it today. Mine did it a few years back, and I had to have the Throttle body replaced, according to Ford. Also, the truck has sat parked since Tuesday evening and it has been pretty cold here, pretty cold for Florida anyways.

Thanks again,

Tom

22" Mazzi's rapped in 305/45/22 Nitto NT-420S
PowerSlot Rotors w/Hawk LTS Pads, ARE Lid
Edge Evo, K&N Filter, Magnaflow SIDO Exhaust
Custom Billet Grill
Alpine IVA-W505 w/backup camera & Blackbird 2 gps
Alpine SPR-17s comp's and SPR-17c coax's
Alpine MRP-F450 and MRP-M450 amps
Jl Audio w1 10" under the seat
All Stinger wires, interconnects, terminals, ect.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor
2002 Ford HD #04417
My Garage

Vehicle: 2002 FORD/HD #04417
You should probably clean the throttle body.....

Eventhough you say your edge showed no alerts did you check for dtc codes anyways?
Old 12-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Global Moderator &
2005 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150, 5.0
Yep, clean the TB and the MAF.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88racing View Post
You should probably clean the throttle body.....

Eventhough you say your edge showed no alerts did you check for dtc codes anyways?
Hey 88racing,

Yes, I did check to see if there were any DTC's, but didnt find any.

Is there anything tricky about cleaning the throttle body on the 3v engines? I thought I remember reading something, that you could mess something up bad, since they are drive by wire setup's.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 12-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejay View Post
Yep, clean the TB and the MAF.
I had cleaned the MAF just a few days before it did this. I had also put a 20oz bottle of Techron in the fuel tank.

Also, some new happenings. Yesterday I started the truck to move it out of the driveway. while starting it, I was looking in my side view mirrow, and saw a huge puff of white'ish smoke shoot out of my passenger side exhaust pipe. This kind of makes me think injector, thinking that one of them might have been stuck open, leaking gas. I had one replaced a year or so ago, but the symptoms on it were different. I think it was stuck closed though.

Any input?

Thanks, as always,

Tom
Old 12-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Technical Article Contributor
2002 Ford HD #04417
My Garage

Vehicle: 2002 FORD/HD #04417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog101 View Post
Hey 88racing,

Yes, I did check to see if there were any DTC's, but didnt find any.

Is there anything tricky about cleaning the throttle body on the 3v engines? I thought I remember reading something, that you could mess something up bad, since they are drive by wire setup's.

Thanks,
Tom
Nothing to really mess up...... http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...ttle-body.html

The only thing I've seen is people not getting the connector hooked back up correctly...
Old 12-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Global Moderator &
2005 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150, 5.0
I would get the injectors checked, quickly, if one is sticking open, can hydrolock the engine and do major damage. Usually, if it is an injector sticking open, it will have the symtoms of a flooding engine.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:20 AM