5.4l engine build with 4v navi heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budget is 3-5 thousand. My goal is simple I just want to get about 500rwhp. The truck has about 82k miles on it now. Is building a 4v that much more expensive than building a 3v? And what kind of blower would you recommend? What kind of psi do you think this motor will withstand with that many miles on it?
Thanks a lot for the replies

Old 06-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by r_hice24
Budget is 3-5 thousand. My goal is simple I just want to get about 500rwhp. The truck has about 82k miles on it now. Is building a 4v that much more expensive than building a 3v? And what kind of blower would you recommend? What kind of psi do you think this motor will withstand with that many miles on it?
Thanks a lot for the replies
Simple?
I personally wouldnt go anywhere near that number without a full build including forged internals, H beam rods, head work... etc. Building your trans to hold that will take up half of that budget. A drivable/dependable 500rwhp is going to be closer to 10k.
And without knowing a reputable builder, expect there to be delays and costly issues along the way reaching that goal.

In a sense you need to have a never ending budget. Building 500rwhp can cost like I said upwards to 10k just to get there. One, just one failure of a part down the road will set you back to a full tear down and rebuild again. That's just how it is. Most of the people I know that have a "dependable" 500rwhp car/truck have had several rebuilds to get there. Failure is always just around the corner when you build things to that kind of tolerance. Not saying everything that is built will break down. It just takes one part, one wrong tolerance and it's time to start over. So, do as much research as possible and do everything right the first time around. Your budget would be lucky to see 350rwhp.

Last edited by Toyz; 06-03-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Well like I stated in a earlier post this is my first modular build. I have built a 302 and a 351w both dyno over 500hp. I'm just trying to weigh my options here and get everyone's opinion. I have never built anything that I planned on running any kind of forced induction on. Everything I have ever built has been high compression. I don't know how reliable the 3v is or how much I can get out of it without s/c. I would rather not run a s/c as I understand your reliability goes way down. I drive my crap hard and I mean hard so reliability is high on my list! Thanks for all the responses and any personal experience is greatly appreciated. Oh btw I will be doing a build and then Doing a swap as to minimize my trucks down time so I will be starting from scratch. I will have to buy everything anyway so salvaging parts is of little concern.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:23 AM
If you have the budget (I wish I did) to throw some nice parts at it, then invest in some trickflow twisted wedge heads and cams, look them up, they are SICK!!! But pretty pricey and u can still run the stock bottom end...

Old 06-17-2013, 11:28 AM
I haven't followed the game in the last few years, but I can't see 500rwhp on any sort of budget.

An Aussie Boss intake, and the updated '03' heads and
Fgt cams and you'd be in the 350+ rwhp neighborhood.

After that and it's pricey.

Im sitting on a dry sump. Fgt block, Fgt heads, valvetrain and. 00R lower ( $7k) and I still have another $5k to go for my "simple build"

Quick Reply: 5.4l engine build with 4v navi heads