Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read VendorsGarage

Old 06-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Garage is empty, add now

DTC code - P1285 & 1299

Hey All,
I've got a 2001 F150 Screw, 4x4, 5.4v8, creeping onto 120k miles. It's been my baby since new.... The check engine light came on the other day, and I used my scanner to pull the DTC codes...

P1285 Cylinder Head Over Temperature Condition

P1299 Cylinder Head Over Temperature Protection Active

Not much I can do at the moment other than check fluids which are normal. Just checking if anyone has any experience with these codes, what it ended up being, if it was an auto shop project or something fixable at home.

Thanks,
Old 06-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Those codes are a cooling system issue. And from my knowledge, that could be anything from a simple thermostat that is not opening to cracked cylinder heads to bad head gaskets.

How long has it been since the thremostat has been replaced? Personally, I replace mine every 2 years, along with the radiator hoses, but I live in Hell's Courtyard (Phoenix), where severe heat takes a toll on those components.

Fire it up one time when it is cold and check the upper radiator hose to see if it pressurized. If it is, then you have a bad head gasket. This would be a major repair job that although I have done them in the past, I prefer to have a known good mechanic do anymore. You could also do a hydrocarbon check of the current coolant to see if there are combustion gasses in the fluid to confirm a bad head gasket.

I would start with the pressure test on the upper radiator hose first, to see if you have a head gasket problem. If you do, then I would get it repaired ASAP, and not run it between now and then. If not, then I would suspect either collapsing radiator hoses (especially if they are older than about 3-4 years) or a thermostat stuck closed.

Good luck with this, and keep us informed on what you find.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Garage is empty, add now

thansk,

Thanks AZ Mr. Bill,

Thermostat hasn't been replaced for quite some time, 5yrs at least, can't recall prior to that, hoses haven't ever been replaced. I checked the top radiator hose while running for about 2 minutes, and it did not get pressurized, I could squeeze it easily.

Guess I could start with replacing the thermostat, then hoses and see if that helps - anyone have the right part # for the thermostat by chance?
wasn't sure if the 192 deg. one is right for my truck *shrug*

great community support on this site! the help is much appreciated!

Last edited by Hedgewood; 06-06-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Garage is empty, add now

You didn't state if the temp gauge has shown any high temperatures. Unless you lost a significant amount of coolant or have recently flushed the radiator system, you most likely have a bad CHT sensor. As I recall, they aren't but about $25.00 and would be a cheap place to start.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
192 is the correct stat.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:53 PM