Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F 150
1998 F150 4.6 Triton V8 cylinder misfire

1998 F150 cylinder misfire - I have an incredibly frustrating problem. My old girl seems to like to have misfires with cylinder 7 - has anyone had this problem? It is always cylinder 7 - I have replaced both coil packs, plugs, wires, egr, injectors, fuel filter, fuel pump etc. I have realized through other posts that FoMoCo has made life simple if we just purchase OEM parts. I will try that when I purchase my new parts.

But, why is it always cylinder 7 that has issues. I checked my plug gap after I replaced all plugs. I have maybe 3,000 miles on the new plugs and cylinder 7 gap was .65 - i regapped to .54 and she seems to run better (for now) what causes the gap to blow out like that?

When I was leaving my friendly neighborhood parts store after they read my codes for free :-) - the truck bucked and spat like an angry imp - the dash lights went out. I threatened the truck with a car crusher and I was able to get her home.

After tenuously checking and replacing every relevant fuse (which were perfect and not blown) for the dash lights, I also noticed during testing that the parking lights do not work now.

The other accessories that are linked with the not blown fuses work fine. I am confused (again) as to what has gone wrong with the parking lights and the dashboard.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated. I love my truck and have 145,000 miles on her. But she is starting to wear on my nerves with all the hoopla she is causing.

I would hate to have to buy a Chevy

Thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-150 5.4
what kinda plugs are you using? Modulars are pretty picky about the plugs.. they only like motorcraft ngk and denso's really.. #7 is prone to getting road water spashed on it especially if the shield that attaches to the inner fender is missin..

1999 F-150 xlt 5.4 4x4
1971 Mach 351c 5 speed TKO600 Tremac-sold!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thank you for your help - I have NGK installed - I have the inner shield still in great condition. I did notice some wetness so I will check the shield better. Did you have any idea as to why the gap would open up so greatly? I am going to order new OEM wires and fresh motorcraft plugs. Are you aware of any place online or store where I can get them cheaper than the dealer. Going to the dealer is dangerous as they have nice new trucks there..........
Old 02-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by itw69fxst View Post
Thank you for your help - I have NGK installed - I have the inner shield still in great condition. I did notice some wetness so I will check the shield better. Did you have any idea as to why the gap would open up so greatly? I am going to order new OEM wires and fresh motorcraft plugs. Are you aware of any place online or store where I can get them cheaper than the dealer. Going to the dealer is dangerous as they have nice new trucks there..........
last I saw the motorcraft plugs were 2.99 at Rockauto.com.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Garage is empty, add now

they also carry motorcraft wires at a discount..

1999 F-150 xlt 5.4 4x4
1971 Mach 351c 5 speed TKO600 Tremac-sold!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Garage is empty, add now

thank you for your assistance, I shall purchase these items and see if magic happens.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:51 PM