2001 F150 Will Crank But Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm buying a new sensor on my way home & I'll let you know if that is the fix!!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Well I installed the new cam sensor & it would not start! I need to get a new battery, It doesn't seem to be great with all this starting, I have to keep charging it & it seems it should do better, so i'll spend the $ even if it's not the problem now. It wont hurt to have a new battery. I watch all the dash lights & none were on or flashing while I tried to start it. I can't locate the crank sensor does this year (2001) have both the cam & crank sensors? I'll keep you posted, I don't know which way to go if the battery dosn't make a difference. I'll have to get it to a ford garage I suppose!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:02 AM
If you are looking at the engine the crank sensor is between the balancer and a/c compressor. It looks similar to the cam sensor.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:09 AM
I'll look again tonight, I looked at that spot a couple of times & didn't see anything that looked like a sensor? I'll have to really check this time!

Old 12-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Well I finally found the crank sensor on the bottom of the motor & to change it you have to drop the air conditioning compressor so i"ll drag it to the dealer at some point & let them tell me for sure what is wrong. Thanks for all the help, I"ll keep you posted!

Old 12-23-2009, 10:38 AM
You don't need to unhook the a/c lines or anything, it comes off pretty easily and the lines are flexible. There are 4 bolts holding it on with the heads all towards the tire, I think you can get at them from underneath but if you take the tire off and the fender liner out (4 or 5 screws and a couple push clips) they are easy to get at. The bolts thread in quite a ways, so you might even be able to just back them out far enough without taking it completely off.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Well I pulled it into the Ford Dealer, They say it's 100% the fuel pump. But get this they want $910 + tax soo $1000 to replace it, WTF!!!! Is it that hard to replace the Fuel Pump on this truck?? I saw someplace about pulling the Bed off? ANY help would be great! Thanks

Old 01-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
It's faster and less of a PITA to drop the tank to change out the pump IMO. With a lift/hoist it may be easier removing the bed, -not many of us have one in the garage lol.

Iduno, I pulled my pump tp clean it and it went fairly quick.

You could price a pump @ Rock Auto. I think your estimate is a little high personally. I can check, -give me 3 minutes.

Never mind I have it right here. - From Ford Service ~

Fuel Pump $ 356.83

Labor ~

Test - 0.5 hrs

Replace - 2.2 hrs.

Call another Dealer!!! They are high!

Old 01-04-2010, 06:13 PM
To heck with that price, I bought a 190lph or 255lph (can't remember) from Troyer for I think $100 and put it in myself without a hoist. Its a big heavy tank to deal with, but doable. You just have be be aware of things that are hooked up on top of the tank (filler, vent hose, wiring) as you start to lower it.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Right! Easy, - had half a tank a fuel in mine when I had it down last. Two floor jacks helps as well, but one will work.

Like I said , price a stocker or whatever at Rock Auto. Their pretty good to deal with, at least you can get a ballpark on a fair price from their site. Pick up a Haynes manual, they have a step by step I believe. You can do it yourself quite a bit cheaper.

Good Luck

Old 01-05-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm going to do it myself (for a lot less $$$$), just have to decide to drop the tank or pull the bed, I have a motorcycle jack that might work pritty good & I also have a hydraulic floor jack so between the two I should be ok. I really don't have the room to pull the bed in my garage so I'll look at dropping the tank first! Thanks for all & I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I just replaced mine and it was pretty easy, my tank was almost empty though. I f you wanted to go cheaper, you can get just the pump without the sender or housing for about $100, Mike

Old 01-17-2010, 01:41 PM
IT'S RUNNING!!!!! It was the Fuel Pump (after paying the dealer $170 I figured I'd listen to them). I had changed the battery, & the Cam Sensor. So I dropped the tank, changed the Pump ($189 with new sending unit & strainer @ ORielly's) I broke off the Tank Pressure Sensor trying to get the wires off, it snapped like glass from age, called all around & everyone said Its a dealer part for $120!!! After getting the right part number from 1 of the dealers, I found it at silverstatefordparts.com online for $65 with shipping the only place I found a listing. & now she runs great!! Go Figure!! On a side note What a job to drop the tank!! Getting at the hoses was not fun at all! but I do think it was easier than pulling the bed!????

Old 09-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Similar experience

My '01 5.4L wouldn't start when hot - if I let it sit for 90 minutes it would start after some cranking. Symptoms getting worse over time. 139,000 miles.

I thought it might be fuel pump (based on similar symptoms on a completely different vehicle long ago but one with an electric fuel pump in the tank) and dealer said yup, no fuel pressure at the fuel rail. $770 total, new pump and labor. Ford dealer claimed pump is new Ford OEM pump, not a rebuilt. Don't know how I'll ever know, I did ask for the old pump.

Now I've got a screaming air conditioning compressor bearing (I think), coming from lower passenger side front of engine.

It seems that at 10 years and ~150,000 miles these V8 power accessories all start going bad. I suspect alternator and power steering pump won't be far behind.

I have already had to replace radiator and heater core. Needs bushings on front suspension / steering as well - they squeak like heck.

I don't think there's anything special about these "built ford tough" trucks - they're no different from any other vehicle, time and wear means costly repairs.

Quick Reply: 2001 F150 Will Crank But Not Start