Bearings???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bearings???

Hi i have an 01 f150 that is getting supercharged, i has 168000 and i was thinking of puting in new rod and main bearings before i do this, and i have a few ?'s. 1. do i need to pull the crank and have it and the rods machined before i do this?? and if so what is the best way to do so, or do i have to pull the motor?? 2. can i do bearings from the bottom of the engine by pulling the oil pan?? thanks for all your help.
-frankie

Old 10-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't mess with it. Modular rods and pistons the weak link for any real amount of boost anyhow. In addition, the rod bolts may be TTY (torque to yield) and may need to be replaced with the bearings.

To answer you questions, the crank probably would not need machining, but inspection for surface finnish, size, taper, and out of round would answer that for sure. I don't know for sure, but usually you can do both the rods and mains in chassis. If you can get the pan off, you should be able to replace them. The trans may need to be remove to change the rearmost main bearing because of the one piece rear seal.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you, and i would have access to a micrometer and calipers to test for round and taper, but as for transmission removal that might be out of the ? because i don't have long term access to a lift and this is my everyday driver so it can't be out of commission for more than a few days. thanks for your opinion, i will wait to hear from some other people to see what they say about it.
-Frankie

Last edited by fordfenatic09; 10-22-2009 at 01:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Bearings???