Knocking noise V8 5.4L Triton

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StepSideF150
Expedition10, Did you ever solve the issue?
Hi StepSide, yes, this was resolved. My valve cover came unglued and was sitting on top of the valves, which was what was making the noise. Hope you find the answers you are looking for here. Great bunch of people here!

Old 06-24-2013, 03:12 PM
I never new using the motor craft oil filter made a diff. I also didn't replace my plugs with motor craft plugs and I use valvaline oil. I'm going to change it all this weekend. I have 309696 miles on my truck so maybe the new motor raft stuff will help her out. But she still runs decent

Old 06-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Upper end knock !

If you hear the rockers rattling it is too late. The dealer is going to tell you a new engine is in order. They will blame the wrong oil for the damage. The oil flow to the cams is faulty and the journals wear out. The metal goes to the bottom and takes out the bearings. That is the worst scenario. I had to put new engine in at 63000. You must use 5w20 oil only and motorcraft filter. Do not put synthetic oil in a old engine. It will leak. I worked at a lube shop and every car with more than 50000 on it the other oil change places put synthetic in started to leak. It cleans off the glaze from the conventional oil on the seals and goes right thru. You can get a factory re-manufactured from Ford for less than 6000. The rebuilt has the oil flow problem fixed by the builder. Just call any good head rebuild shop and they will tell you the problem with the heads. They weld up and re bore the cam journals all day long on Fords and all overhead cam engines. The cam has no bearings and sits on aluminum journals.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Matts ford
is it a low rpm knock? maybe the cam phasers? the early 3v engines had issues with them making some noise.
it is nothing to do with a 3 valve engine as the 5.4 3v did not go into the expedition until 2005. In 2004, the 3 valve did go into the f150 but not the expedition.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 AM
My 5.4 in my 2000 f250 same thing plastic baffle in passenger side valve cover came unglued made knocking noise

Old 03-19-2015, 09:31 PM
04 f150 xlt

Is there anyone in portage Michigan area that works these engines and knows them 5.4 L Triton

Old 03-20-2015, 10:15 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Expedition10
Why would an oil and lube place put in the wrong oil? !

Not flippant, but SERIOUS answer!

Because that's what they carry! And they carry that because it's the cheapest thing that they can buy. Same with their filters. They're the cheapest thing that they can buy! The longevity of YOUR truck is of NO concern of theirs!

The 150 engines are NOT typical car engines that can use 30-40w oil and bargain basement oil filters. They're designed for super light oil and a GOOD filter. If you want to keep it very long you'd better start using the proper oil and filter.

FWIW I have two friends that run places that do quicky oil changes. Neither one carries any kind of semi-synthetic oil or any kind of 5-20 oil that Ford calls for and both use no-name oil and filters for all of those $19.95 oil change specials. The ONLY place that I've found that uses or even CARRIES the proper oil and filter are Ford dealerships so your ONLY choices are to take your truck there OR buy the proper oil and Motorcraft filter and change it yourself.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oil

I can fully agree that the FL820s filter works well for this engine. Between the placement of the pressure relief valve and the anti-drainback valve, it keeps oil in the right place.
The use of 5w20 oil has nothing to do with the engine's design. Phasers, oil paths, tensioners, etc will work just as well or better with other viscosities. The exact same engine (3valve, phasers, etc) is also spec'd on Australian vehicles (falcon BA for example). Ford specs 5w40 or 5w30 in Australia for exactly the same engine and oil producers follow that recomendation:

The engine will be fine with 5w20, but also fine with 5w30 or 5w40, etc as long as it's within the temperature range of the truck's use...and yes, Australia got the 3V version before North American F150s.

Originally Posted by joe51
Not flippant, but SERIOUS answer!

Because that's what they carry! And they carry that because it's the cheapest thing that they can buy. Same with their filters. They're the cheapest thing that they can buy! The longevity of YOUR truck is of NO concern of theirs!

The 150 engines are NOT typical car engines that can use 30-40w oil and bargain basement oil filters. They're designed for super light oil and a GOOD filter. If you want to keep it very long you'd better start using the proper oil and filter.

FWIW I have two friends that run places that do quicky oil changes. Neither one carries any kind of semi-synthetic oil or any kind of 5-20 oil that Ford calls for and both use no-name oil and filters for all of those $19.95 oil change specials. The ONLY place that I've found that uses or even CARRIES the proper oil and filter are Ford dealerships so your ONLY choices are to take your truck there OR buy the proper oil and Motorcraft filter and change it yourself.

Last edited by tcp2; 03-20-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:09 PM
oil

So what is a good oil for the 5.4 3v synth/ semi /regular

Old 03-20-2015, 07:03 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
What Ford recommends - 5w20 semi-synth.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:53 PM
Was this knocking noise happening every few seconds during idle? Mine just started doing that, also had a misfire on cylinder 3. Just bought the truck recently, so I replaced the plugs, ignition coils, air filter and will be changing the fuel filter soon. When changing the plugs and coils I found oil in cylinder 7 socket, so I'll be changing the valve cover gaskets as well. All Motorcraft parts. Also after reading this thread, I checked to see what filter they changed the oil with recently and it's not a motorcraft one. So now I'm thinking they didn't put the right oil in it. So, I'll be changing those asap. I hope my knocking noise is as easy a fix as yours was.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:08 PM
Keep your Genuine Ford Truck ALL Genuine. Insist on Ford Parts.

Quick Reply: Knocking noise V8 5.4L Triton