More bad news for Mobil One users

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
What I'm trying to convey here is that M1 is just a motor oil, not magic in a bottle.
The same should be said of all motor oils.

Most trade their vehicles before engine life ever becomes an issue anyway.
Except in my family where we become the final owner, and sometimes even the first, last, and only owner, of every vehicle we've ever had.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Norm
Lots of people can say the same for Quaker State, Penzoil, Amsoil, Conoco, Valvoline and on and on...........
Other parts of a vehicle usually fail before the engine nowadays.
My engine will last as long as yours (or longer) and I only change the oil once a year with
Amsoil 0w-30. It is not API certified now because of high zddp but that is why the oil last longer. If API is important to you Amsoil XL or many other API oils will do you just fine. Mobil 1 could lose their API starburst if what the others are saying proves to be true.
Hey Norm, here's some info for ya...Amsoil oils are not non-API certified because of high ZDDP numbers. All of Amsoils oils with a weight of XW-30 and below meet an SM rating requiring ZDDP levels below 800 ppm. That pretty much covers any Amsoil oil any of us would be using in our trucks...which is why it cracks me up to hear comments like "I don't use Amsoil because my truck is still under warranty". So now you and I both can sleep just fine using the 0W30 once a year!! I'd sleep just fine anyways, but you know what I mean.

Amsoil not being API certified has nothing to do with the ZDDP levels of their oils, especially the lower weight ones as I pointed out. It's more of a financial/business move. It costs a lot of money for a company to maintain that certification on an oil. And if you guys completely think an oil just has to be API certified to be any good, you're living your life short. Amsoil meets most euro specs on their oils and that's superior to API.

I rate API ratings right up there with helmet ratings. Take DOT vs SNELL for example. We have to have DOT. OK, got it. But the SNELL rating has been proven, over and over and over to be too stringent and too agressive for like 80+% of motorcycle crashes. To meet the SNELL rating, the helets are too hard and don't handle most impacts as well as a DOT ONLY helmet in the vast majority of street accidents. SNELL is found to be good, and in some cases superior to DOT only in most high speed accidents associated with racing, but not the street. BUT, almost all your top end helmets have a SNELL rating anyways. Why?? Because people see this crap on their favorite racers helmet and therefore they have to have it. Long story short, SNELL sells helmets. To me, API is SNELL.

Another way to look at it, as with most organizations/certifications is this...API is the "minimum" standard! Has no bearing on how much superior an oil can be.

Last edited by Galaxy; 03-04-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually Galaxy the 0w30 that I use does exceed the API SM allowable level of ZDDP and that is one of the reasons it will not get the starburst. I know it is not the only reason but it is a reason. I also know that more ZDDP is one thing you want in an extended interval oil.
I completely agree with you on the financial/political reasons as well. API is a voluntary rating that oil companies do not have to meet. Amsoil Oils are much better than most API rated oils.

Here is a good link on the reasons some of Amsoils Oils are not API starburst labeled.

http://www.performanceoiltechnology....ilicensing.htm

Excerpt:
Originally Posted by Amsoil
The prevalent sources of phosphorous in motor oils are additives called
zinc dithiophosphates (ZDPs). These versatile additives contribute to
reduced oxidation, corrosion and wear. The automobile manufacturers,
however, have demanded that lubricants contain a maximum of only .08%
phosphorous. Their reason is some manufacturers believe higher phosphorous
content levels will poison the catalytic converters on their cars before
they reach 120,000 miles, which is the number of miles that vehicles are
required to pass EPA emission standards. There is not total agreement
within the automotive and lubrication industry about whether phosphorous
levels over .08% actually do harm catalytic converters in the long run.
What they have failed to make allowances for is the NOACK volatility of an
oil, the volatility of the phosphorus itself, or the oil drain intervals.
Another:
Full API licensing would impose strict phosphorous limitations on our
motor oils. AMSOIL INC. disagrees with this limitation and feels strongly
that consumers benefit from long drain, low volatility oils that pose no
threat to catalytic converters. To solve this issue, the API and vehicle
manufacturers must develop tests and make exceptions for high phosphorus,
long drain interval, low volatility oils. Warranties And API Licensed Motor
Oils

Old 03-04-2009, 10:02 PM
That shouldn't be right Norm. The 0W30 does meet SM ratings and to achieve this, they must be at the 800ppm. I'm sure there's some tolerance to that, but. You know I'm not arguing with you but let's just say I got my facts from a reliable source.

The info you posted while correct, does not support nor disprove what I was saying about the 30 weight and lower oils,(5W30, 5W20, 0W20, etc) including the SSO, meeting or exceeding the SM rating. In fact, that very article actually supports what I was saying...

Phosphorous content - .06% minimum to .08% maximum (API SM; 0W20, 5W20, 0W30, 5W30, 10W30 viscosity grades only)

How did you come about thinking (or knowing) the SSO has a higher value??

I am very familiar with that API article , yes. I should have included that in my last post. Maybe some good read for the guys. Thanks for including it. It explains very well what iwas illuding to about the business/financial part.

Last edited by Galaxy; 03-04-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 PM
... i'll run sullair compressor oil... GOOD STUFF!

Old 03-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxy
In fact, that very article actually supports what I was saying...

Phosphorous content - .06% minimum to .08% maximum (API SM; 0W20, 5W20, 0W30, 5W30, 10W30 viscosity grades only)
That line says what the SM limits are, it does not say that Amsoils oils meet the rating. You left out the line above your quote:

Key Limitations For API Licensed Formulas

How did you come about thinking (or knowing) the SSO has a higher value??
Oil Analysis has shown that the ZDDP or Phosphorous levels exceed the SM limit.
I am OK with that because it is exactly what you want in an oil that can go for up to 35K miles.
Do you have tests that show otherwise? I do not think an SM oil would last 35K miles.
I think some of the confusion may come from the SSO info page on the Amsoil website. It states:
AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for use in gasoline engines, diesel engines (API CF, ACEA B5) and other applications requiring SAE 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 with the following worldwide specifications:

• API SM/CF, SL, SJ …
• ILSAC GF-4, 3 …
• ACEA A5/B5-04
• GM 4718M, 6094M
• Ford WSS-M2C929-A
• Daimler Chrysler MS-6395N
• VW 503.00
• Honda/Acura HTO-06
It doesn't say that it meets SM or SL or SJ etc. It only states that it would be recommended for use in those vehicles. Notice Ford 930 is not on the list but I still use it in my truck.
I am very familiar with that API article , yes. I should have included that in my last post. Maybe some good read for the guys. Thanks for including it. It explains very well what I was alluding to about the business/financial part.
I still believe that this oil is the best oil out there for extended intervals and will continue to use it regardless of it not meeting API ratings. API ratings are for marketing value so that oil companies can compete with similar products. It would be difficult for one oil company to come up with a formulation that meets the SM spec for a lot less money than another oil company. It just puts them all on equal footings. It also helps consumers choose between oils.

We both know it beats the snot out of Mobil 1.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Oh, I'm with ya on the oil. I could care less about the contents and the API. it's the only thing my truck and my Lexus get.

I guess that's good you got the results from actual analysis. I wasnt trying to qrgue with ya either, it just disputes guidance that I personally received straight from the tech dept at Amsoil that all the 30 weight and under oils do in fact meet the SM and the ZDDP is under 800ppm. Oh well, no biggie.

Quick Reply: More bad news for Mobil One users