Old 04-13-2015, 02:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Take a second to look over what you might need to do if your oil filter adapter is leaking. Find out whether is it a simple DIY or something needing experience. See what others had to say.

Read full discussion for further information
Print Wikipost

oil filter adapter leaking???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 F250 oil filter adapter gkt replacement

I read this thread when I discovered my severe oil leak was from adapter. Thanks to all for input. I did this job myself in driveway. Here's my two cents:
Did not drain oil - had to add so often, it wasn't bad. Took off filter, took out oil press sending unit, took off left front wheel, turn wheels hard to right. (do this first while engine can still run) Drained coolant. Removed four bolts - 13mm.
you will need an assortment of extensions, swivels, but it can be done. My 250 had OEM clamps on lower rad hose and there was no way the one where hose connects to neck on filter adapter could be released. So I took the hose and adapter out all connected. I popped two front pins holding inner fender plastic loose so I could reach to lower rad hose at radiator. I split the air cleaner and moved the engine half away to get to clamp under resevoir) I pulled the hose and adapter out through inner fender area near radiator. cleaned adapter well, got gkt at Oreily's $12 and a lower hose $45 and civilized clamps and it went together well. took me about 5 hours total but was not rushing. hope this helps someone else.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:19 AM
I did mine last night started at 5pm done and running at 615pm. Email or text me for helpfull tips.8137359097 Jack

Last edited by jackgraves; 12-12-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Gasket Question...

Can I just use RTV on the part that is bolted to the engine, instead of buying a new gasket?

Last edited by jason.eck; 05-03-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Not specific enough
Old 05-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Use a gasket, do the job right.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 F150 4X4 5.4L Oil Filter Housing Gasket

That's right the 4x4's are a lot harder to change. It can be done. Remove filter and black plastic splash shield first (2 small bolts). Drain coolant. Take lower radiator hose completely off from housing and radiator and set it aside. Remove top hose at reservoir only. I used a two foot long 3/8 extension with a 10mm shallow impact swivel coming up on front side of rack and pinion to get front bolts and rear side of rack to get rear bolts off. Make sure your on the bolt head good and using a ratchet only! break'em loose. Drop housing and rotate to unplug sensor. Then snake housing with reservoir hose still connected down through front and out. At that time you can properly clean all sealing surfaces on the block and housing to ensure a clean seal when you reinstall in the reverse order. I did the repair on a lift which made it easier. I did NOT remove P/S pump. I did remove left front tire. Not necessary to remove inner wheel well.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: oil filter adapter leaking???