'04 Ford F-150 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry '04 Ford F-150 Won't Start

I have an '04 F-150, 5.4L, 4x4, SuperCab. For the last little while the "check engine" light has been on and running rough. Now today the truck started fine in the morning and then about a half hour later stalled and when I turned it over it would fire up for a couple of seconds and then stall again. I finally got it started after leaving it for a half hour and moved it about 100 feet and then shut it off. I left it for 5 or 6 hours and then tried to start it again and now it will turn over but nothing else happens. What could be wrong with it and how can I check to see if that is the problem?
Thanks!
Jeff

Old 02-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffmars1
I have an '04 F-150, 5.4L, 4x4, SuperCab. For the last little while the "check engine" light has been on and running rough. Now today the truck started fine in the morning and then about a half hour later stalled and when I turned it over it would fire up for a couple of seconds and then stall again. I finally got it started after leaving it for a half hour and moved it about 100 feet and then shut it off. I left it for 5 or 6 hours and then tried to start it again and now it will turn over but nothing else happens. What could be wrong with it and how can I check to see if that is the problem?
Thanks!
Jeff
I would not try to start it again! It may be the fuel injectors leaking and that can cause disaster in the engine. Get it towed to a dealer and checked out. It could also be stopped up Cat Converter or possibly the throttle body. Oh, one last thing, when was the fuel filter last changed?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:35 PM
do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on? did you ever get the engine light checked out? how many miles on the truck?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
BTW, welcome to the site!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My crystal ball is broken so I can't say 100% what your problem is, but being that your truck is a 4x4, and I'm guessing you use it as such once in a while, I'd make a reasonable guess that if you checked for codes, you'd get P1233 (Fuel pump driver module offline) and a faulty FPDM. It's mounted on a crossmember above the spare tire and is subject to water intrusion, especially on folks who smash around in the mud and dirt.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks Bluejay!

Quintin,
You were exactly right. It was the FPDM and also a coil pack. I have only had my truck off road once but do some snow plowing with it so maybe that caused it to quit.
The dealerships computer only showed the coil pack so they replaced that and then when they were backing out the truck it quit on them and they had to push it back into the shop and fix the FPDM.

Quick Reply: '04 Ford F-150 Won't Start