Engine Ping, rattle, engine noise, etc... 2007 F150 FX2 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was loosing to much oil going through a lil over 3 qrts in 3000 miles after bring it to the dealer doing a consumption test and the dealer going through the diagnostic part it was determined that there was excessive side to side play in the valves they ended up replacing the heads ironically my pinging disappeared also

Old 07-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Found on road side dead

I have a 2003 F-150 w/ Triton V8... Purchased new Dec 2002. Started hearing noises around 30500, sort of sounded to me like it might be something lifter related but definitely internally... would make this noise towards end of acceleration but would quite down after reaching the shift. At first was not as noticable during every act of accelerating so was the case when I orriganally took in for an oil change which I received every 3000 (or so) from the ford dealership where I had purchased the piece of... the truck. They test drove and reported that there was no noise detected. It started making the same noise more often around 43000. I was driving it one day when I noticed that at a red light the engine sort of fluttered a bit and so I turned off AC and it just did not seem to be acting the same so I remained on the service road and pulled off into a gas station parking lot and just as I was coasting in it died. I tried to restart and it sounded like crap so I called my roadside service and had it towed to the dealer where I purchased. Two days later I am told that some bearing spun off the crankshaft or something like that and I was going to need to replace the engine... I could not believe it, it only had 46,000 on it and I had every record to prove that it had had all oil changes but they had no explanation for me except that these things happen sometimes... my extended coverage I had purchased covered all but 1300.00 of a remanufactured motor (another triton V-8) and when I suggested to ford that I felt that they should cover the balance due to the low mileage, of course no joy for me with that. Ford immediatly told me truck was too old and that I need to let them know what I was going to do because they had other engines to replace and that if I took too long I would loose my posistion in the rotation. So it sounds as though I am not the only sucker with this type of problem. Does this situation sound familiar to anyone else with this type of engine.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:22 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
No, that's not common. You are just unlucky. I'd read your extended coverage policy a lot closer, $1300 deductible sounds way too high to me.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:24 AM
Same here

I got 2007 that needed timing chain guides. Ended up replacing everything. Only 83k miles. Will idle all day and rev up with little throttle. But moderate to wot, in neutral or drive, she falls on her face and no codes. I think my cats are clogged

Old 06-20-2019, 10:21 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Could be clogged cats. Could be low fuel pressure.

Quick Reply: Engine Ping, rattle, engine noise, etc... 2007 F150 FX2 5.4L