#4 COP Pulled - Wet Dirty and Slightly Rusted.. Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#4 COP Pulled - Wet Dirty and Slightly Rusted.. Help

I have had a little more time these days and with the help of this forum I've been able to remove #4 COP and figured it was just burned out but when i pulled it out it was really Dirty, Wet, and the spring was slightly Rusted.

I cant post pictured but loaded a few to my profile's garage but i dont know if they've been approved by the moderator.

The liquid dried within minutes so im guessing was water based. When read about removing COP's learned about washer fluid and rain from hood so i will look into.

Im most concerned about the current plug condition? I just removed the COP so its bare and probably drying (good or bad to leave exposed?) but how do i figure out the condition inside that well? I've read plugs can snap and they are original at approx 165k miles. Im planning on blowing air into the hole to clean out what else?

I bought the DG508 and dielectric for tip but it seems like i should clean the engine and check on all the cop's?
Thanks in advance

F150 2001 5.4

Old 02-16-2013, 08:16 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
165k on the ORIGINAL plugs? Change them ALL.

Use a flashlight and a mirror to look down in the plug well. You may need a scribe and a shop vac with a small hose attachment to dig the crap out of the well so you can get a socket to engage the plug.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or plugs are not known to snap or break off. That is the plugs on the 3v 5.4L's. Like GLC said, get a small mirror, flashlight and whatever else to look into the plug well. Clean it if needed and blow it out with compressed air before you remove the plug to stop any debri from going into the cylinder.

It's not impossible to break these plugs, but it would have to be all but froze in there for something like that to happen. Not common at all.

Quick Reply: #4 COP Pulled - Wet Dirty and Slightly Rusted.. Help