NewTSB on spark plug removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you didn't upload, paste here and then delete did you?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Fiwed it!

Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
you didn't upload, paste here and then delete did you?
Sorry guys. i moved it to a different folder and it F'ed up the picture links. My bad.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:38 PM
If you look at the first page of the TSB under "Issue" you will note in the last sentence what the affected build dates are for the applicable vehicles. Anything built after these dates has a revised cylinder head and spark plug. The new plugs are now the 'old' design (I have pictures somewhere).

I remember when the 3V was first introduced and they aired commercials about how the new engine was designed around that new spark plug...still getting a chuckle out of that one.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by dkstone05
Agree 100%.. 3 broke on mine at 35k miles. Ford has to do something about this. It is only going to get worse as more of these hit the 100k mile change. I think they should at least put out a bulletin for the general public stating the possible problems when removing the plugs. Oh wait they won't do cause that will cause everyone's panties to get in wad and want it fixed. Anyway I think they should at least offer free plug changes....or at least let the dealers charge a normal price for the change and if any break NOT hold the customer responsible.
I agree with you com. I'm taking the truck in hopefully next week to have the plugs changed. My local ford dealer quoted me $358.00 for parts & labor for the job. As if this wasn't enough money now I'm just praying that a plug/plugs do not break since the truck has 80,000 on it and its an 2004.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 PM
That porcelain removal tool is a sick joke. This whole debacle is a sick joke, come to think of it.
No doubt Quinton...have you had the pleasure of using it yet? What kills me is the "Esential Service Tool Set" did not include the 303-1203 tool for extracting the shields after you get the porcelain out. We had to order one overnight today. We actually debated pulling the heads possibly...I can do a set on those in less than eight hours, I've already spent quite a bit of time screwing around with this "new" tool...

I got three pins set this afternoon, going to try pulling them in the morning.....I wanted the Loctite to cure longer than what they recommend. I have one that is just the steel in the hole, the middle plug in the picture is what came out. The others are the porcelain and steel shields in the hole, the picture of the plug with the electrode wire below the threads is the result of that. Plug on the right is what should come out.

Anything built after these dates has a revised cylinder head and spark plug
We were told that the revised head doesn't come out until later this year... mid production run, right now the only change is the plug number, they went to the PZT-14f in November, same time as the end of the affected vehicles in the bulletin....the revised head will go back to a traditional plug design I've heard.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cannot believe the price difference between dealers. The dealer I took mine to wanted $200 for parts and labor. I however chose to buy the new champion 1 piece plugs on my own and then they dropped the price to $135 + tax. Since I was under warranty they did not charge me any extra for removing the 3 broken ones. So even though my plugs broke the dealer really took care of me. I will always go back to this dealer from now on, they are 10 times better than the dealer I bought the truck from(which wanted $375 and I was responsible if any broke)

Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by FordTech1
We were told that the revised head doesn't come out until later this year... mid production run, right now the only change is the plug number, they went to the PZT-14f in November, same time as the end of the affected vehicles in the bulletin....the revised head will go back to a traditional plug design I've heard.
My shop is working on new Mustang 4.6L 3V engines right now and we have two different engine codes to deal with due to the revised head & plug. I will get some pics.

Edit: I am also 99% sure the 5.4's are already in production with these new parts as well. The guys on the hotline should call the plants to get their info.

Last edited by DrTriton; 04-03-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:42 PM
The dealership here in richmond said flat rate was 3 hours for the job at $82.00. I asked the service advisor if he ever had any problems with changing the plugs on 3 valave engines & he said word for word "nope I've never heard / had a problem. Talk about a bunch of B.S.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:47 PM
The guys on the hotline should call the plants to get their info.
I agree, you can call twice in the same day about the same thing and get two different answers. I was on the phone with them on Monday since the TSB had not been out just yet and the tool kit did not come with instructions...go figure

Id like to see what they did to the head for the redesign, thats a good bit of aluminum the current plugs sit in.......deep hole that is.....

Old 04-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Just had mine replaced as a precaution at 34K miles. Dealer told me they have had some issues with some breaking, it they break while truck is under warranty, it's on Ford to fix. If they break while out of warranty it's on me. For the price they charged, it was a no brainer to go ahead and have them replaced.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-03-2008, 10:43 PM
FordTech1 Good info but i have a question for you I have a 2004 Lariat with the 5.4 3v motor I have 14800 miles on it now It runs great I have a ford esp warrenty that expires at 36000 or the year 2010 If i took my truck in now for a plug change and they gave me a price to change them Will i have to pay any extra money if they do break a few plugs

Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Under warranty at our dealer...no...
Your dealer should be the same if it's under warranty. Out of warranty, cross your fingers and hope for a good service manager......

Old 04-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by RUSS04
FordTech1 Good info but i have a question for you I have a 2004 Lariat with the 5.4 3v motor I have 14800 miles on it now It runs great I have a ford esp warrenty that expires at 36000 or the year 2010 If i took my truck in now for a plug change and they gave me a price to change them Will i have to pay any extra money if they do break a few plugs
Have a long talk with your service manager. The dealer I took mine to said that if they break out warranty then I would have to pay a small fee that would be dependent on milage, he said probably $100 or so. Every dealer is different some say sorry your SOL, and others would like to keep your business in hopes of you coming back and buying a new car so they will try to help you in anyway possible. It's just a shame to see how many don't care anymore but at least I found one that is good, I wish I would've bought the truck there.

Btw, I talked to 3 dealers before my change. 2 of the 3 said warranty or not I would have to pay extra if they broke and they both wanted close to $400 for the change. The one I took it to said if it is under warranty then I'm not responsible. Thank god I took it to the 3rd one cause 3 of them broke and I didn't have to pay penny more and this dealer was a lot cheaper too.

Last edited by dkstone05; 04-04-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been waiting for the new tools to come out... We were testing the ceramic pin extractors in our lab 18 months ago... Took 'em long enough!!

Haven't heard what the revised design is yet... Still trying to talk to the right people...

-Joe

Old 04-04-2008, 02:26 PM
FordTech1,

how many miles were on that truck that you broke 3 plugs on?

Bubba

Quick Reply: NewTSB on spark plug removal