Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:27 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang
Difference between 04 and 05+ 5.4 3V's?

I have found an '06 5.4L 3V out of an Expedition with low miles I'd like to swap into my '04.

What changes did Ford make after 04 (non-heritage)? I think I've read about an intake mani change (TB placment), but that's it.

Any input would be great!
Old 02-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150 FX4
There is no mechanical difference on the 3V 5.4's no matter the year. There might be a difference between body lines, i.e. the intake manifold and/or the exhaust manifolds might be different between the expy and the 150. If they are diff, just swap on your manifolds off your 04 engine. You should not have a problem with this swap, afterall the expy and 150 are practically identical mechanically.
14" Magnaflow SI/DO Harley style exit, Resonator delete, Undercover Flex, DeeZee bedmat, DeeZee tailgate assist, AVS in-channels, Ford Accessories splash guards, AudioControl sound processors, kenwood amps, Image Dynamics speakers working with stock MFT/sony system.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:50 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang
That's what I was thinking.

Though, on www.car-parts.com and other sources list 04's seperate from the 05+ non-flex fuel engines. I'm guessing it's the mani change.....
65 Buick Skylar GS
64 Chevrolet Impala SS
Old 02-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150 FX4
Even if the mani is different, I wouldn't worry about it. If your going thru the trouble of swapping engines, then swapping out the mani to get the correct one is nothing, just a couple more bolts. Besides, I think you have to pull the intake to gain clearence to get the motor out without lifting the cab off the frame.
14" Magnaflow SI/DO Harley style exit, Resonator delete, Undercover Flex, DeeZee bedmat, DeeZee tailgate assist, AVS in-channels, Ford Accessories splash guards, AudioControl sound processors, kenwood amps, Image Dynamics speakers working with stock MFT/sony system.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:20 PM