98 150 4.6, Repeated Misfire #4 Cyl, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 150 4.6, Repeated Misfire #4 Cyl, Help!

I Keep Having A Problem In #4 Cyl Misfiring. It Starts Intermitent Then Constant. Chk E Light Flashes Then If Smooths Out Just Stays On. Have Replaced Sparkplug 3 Times In 12k Miles And It Will Work Fine For About 3-4k Miles. The Plug I Take Out Feels Like It
Has A Hairline Creck Vertically And Some Carbon Marks. I Did Find Out That The Plug Does Not Screw All The Way In. It Does Not Seem Cross Threaded But After Checking The Threads With Anti Seize On Them Can Tell It Only Goes Half Way. Had A Garage Put New Ones In While In Texas At 100k And All Was Fine But Now Live In Sc And Am On My Own With This. Wondering If They Did Not Get The Plug All Wht Way In If It Now Has Carbon Built Up In The Threads And Since The Plug Soes Not Seat All The Way Down If It Could Be Causing An Arc To The Head? Have Thought About Using A Tap To Lightly Clean The Threads And Maybe A Small Hose Vacuum To Suk Out The Cylinder After Wards But Am Worried About Something Burning A Hole In The Top Of The Piston. 2 Kids In College And Older
Parents To Take Care Of So I Need To Do This Cheap..thanks For Any Ideas

Old 03-10-2007, 09:56 AM
you can try a tap should not be a problem just put some grease on it to help hold any debris left over also get some good plug wires i have had a problem with cheap wires doing the same thing hope this helps

Old 03-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Be sure your piston is down before you run a tap into the spark plug hole. Also, from my experience, when a spark plug has vertical carbon tracks on it their are also carbon tracks on the inside of the wire boot. Just replacing the plug does not solve the problem with the boot. When I have carbon tracks on a plug, I replace the wire at the same time. Where is SC do you live? I am in Charleston.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks For The Help Guys. After Reading This Site For Quite A
While I Spent The Money And Got The Wires Straight From Ford (ow)
I Have Checked To See If I Have A Coolant Leak But Can Not Find One
Anywhere. The First Time I Replaced The Bad Plug There Was Some
Oil Down Around The Plug And I Thought Maybe A Crack In The Block
But This Last Time No Oil But The Plug Felt Damp When I Removed It And I Finally Realized That It Seems To Happen Right After A Big Rain. I Have Checked To Make Sure The Boot Is Seated Well At The Top And Have Not Foind Any Cracks But This Is Blowing My Mind.

In Greenville Nkeen

Quick Reply: 98 150 4.6, Repeated Misfire #4 Cyl, Help!