Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help

I have no idea what is wrong. Can't get the distributor out. Sprayed it with PB Blaster. Beat on the housing with a pry bar and hammer. Got it to operating temp and tried the same. Don't have enough room to get to it with any kind of wrench. Truck is backfiring through the carb. My popping noises I was hearing. Any throtle brings this on. Doesn't happen at idle. Edelbrock carb . I called MSD and they told me they have never heard the distributor freezing in the block. Only if the engine overheated causing the distributor housing to swell welding it to the block. They also could not offer any suggestion to get it out other than what I have been doing. Am I going to have to destroy this to get it out? Basicly pull everything off the front of the motor so I can get some kind of wrench on this and twist the heck out of it?

As for the backfiring through the carb. Since the distributor is frozen in place, could the timing chain have jumped a tooth? I don't believe this motor has many miles on it. Maybe 30,000. It was rebuilt by the previous owner. The compression checks within 5 around 165psi on all cylinders. At least it did in the begining of the month of February.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read somewhere to try an oil filter wrench on the distributor. Maybe you could get one with a band and get some leverage.

Plumbers use a pipe wrench that uses a chain that goes around pipe.

Last edited by raisin; 03-06-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't quadruple-post.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
stupid question, did you pull the distributor hold down clip off?