Fuel Economy on 97 F150 Scab w/ 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Economy on 97 F150 Scab w/ 4.6

I just had the opportunity to take my truck my first trip with it this past weekend. I drove around 775 miles on Saturday and averaged around 13 mpg. The conditions were as follows: Entirely all interstate driving at 75mph. Travelled from Brookings SD (1575 ft) to Rapid City SD (3350 ft) - so gradual climb in elevation going out. Empty truck going out with tonneau cover over bed and 525 lbs snowmobile in back coming home. Buck a crosswind going out at about 20 - 30 mph and had similar wind behind me coming back. I filled up 3 times - haven't filled as of yet when I got home. First fill I averaged 13 mpg - basically no elevation difference but bucking wind. Second fill averaged 11.6 mpg - climb in elevation and wind. Coming home on 3rd fill averaged 14.6 - with decrease in elevation, wind assistance, and additional weight.

Just wondering if that is pretty standard or if it should be doing better?? I believe the plugs have around 20,000 miles on them. Gentleman before me changed plugs on it. I've not done anything to it mechanically other than installed a new alternator. Truck has around 125,000 miles on it.

Any comments or suggestions would be apprecaited. Thanks!

Old 02-19-2007, 03:58 PM
There are no magical ways to gain fuel economy unfortunately. The problem is that the speed was 75 mph...This will destroy fuel economy. What you had was average for that. The only way to gain the fuel economy that you and I both wish for is to drive close too 55 mph and keep it steady. Unfortunately for me and probably you I can't stand getting passed on the inerstate and would NEVER drive 55 for those long hauls I average about 82 mph (and I have the tickets to prove it ) Well thats just my imput I don't know about y'all but thats me hope this helps.
~Phil

Old 02-19-2007, 04:44 PM
I agree that the speed was probably the problem. For some reason 55 seems to be the sweet spot in this trucks for mileage. Once you go over that mileage drops.

I always try to keep my speed right at 55, but then again I have 4.56 gears on 34" tires and she runs about 1800 rpm at 55. So I keep it there.

Quick Reply: Fuel Economy on 97 F150 Scab w/ 4.6