Frozen Fuel Rail???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frozen Fuel Rail???

Alright, so I'm driving home from the paintball shop last night, and I get home and park my truck like normal. Today, about 5pm, I go to start my truck, and it won't start. . Nothing was wrong with it the night before, and it 'tries' to start, and does partially turn the pistons, but does not actually start. Its been in the 'teens all week and has been especially cold the last two days. I did not run the truck at all today.

I think the fuel line (or rail) might have some ice in it... Anyone know where the fuel line purge valve is on the 4.2L v6 on a 98? Once again, thanks for your help.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Is it cranking at "normal" speed?

Old 02-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would start by checking battery voltage.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Ah, I forgot to add this. Just bought a new battery recently, checked voltage, everything is fine. It is also 'rolling over' correctly. Sometimes I hate living in the northeast (2 degrees in the morning! not to mention wind chill)... But if anyone knows where that purge valve is under the hood it would be great, so I can take care of it.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:09 AM
I don't think it was cold enough to freeze your fuel rail. Here in Wisconsin we've been between -15 and -20 F for the last 4 nights and my truck hasn't had any issues. The wind chill doesn't lower the temperature of your truck any lower than the abient temperature. The wind only lowers your trucks warm temperature faster. This almost sounds like a spark issue. Can you smell any fuel?

Old 02-08-2007, 04:21 PM
I was thinking of a Spark issue too. If you have original Spark Plugs and Coil it's way beyond time to replace them.

If you do replace your plugs, get quality. Iridium is the way to go, in my oppinion. Though at a very minimum get platum.

Also you mentioned that you recently replaced your battery.
Just another oppinion of mine. Always go with the best battery you can. Most places have several "levels" of batterys for the same application. I always get the battery with the highest CCA that is availible, it makes a noticable difference with cold weather starting.
I hope that is what you did.

Doug

Quick Reply: Frozen Fuel Rail???