'93 300 I6 hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'93 300 I6 hesitation

i've got a 93 300 I6 when i give it a little gas at an idle it acts like it's gonna die. it makes no difference if the engine is cold or hot. it's really anoying when i'm in stop and go traffic and have to let off the gas then give it gas. it's real jerky. i had an identical problem with a 91 ranger with a 4cyl. only the ranger would accualy die. ultimately i replaced the throttle position sensor which fixed it. the sensor had a dead spot in it. i checked the sensor on my 150 and it appears to be fine. it may be that it's not bad enough to show a dead spot yet.
also, i don't know if it's related but when it's cold when i take off from a stop it falls on it's face. it hesitates real bad. it seems like it's only in a certian rpm range. i don't have a tach so i can't say what it is. i only notice it in 1st gear. maybe a little in second but it's hardly noticable. i wanna say it does it when it's warmed up but not near as much.
any suggestions or places to start looking would be appriciated.
tom
p.s. i changed the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor 20k ago. it didn't solve the problem

Old 02-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If the TPS was bad enough to affect the engine, it would show on a test.

Start by checking fuel pressure, especially under the conditions that the truck shows the problem. You can leave it connected to the fuel rail & route the hose out the back of the hood so you can see it while driving.

Click the black Bronco in my sig & then look in the EFI Fuel Pump album for a diagram that shows how to trigger the pump, and the pressure specs. Then take a look at this diagram from a TSB.

Quick Reply: '93 300 I6 hesitation