Engine Starts fine, but then just Dies

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Starts fine, but then just Dies

Hello, I am new to this forum. My truck is down and I am pretty desperate. I have a 1996 F-150 with a 5.8l engne (75,000 mi). Bought this truck brand new in 1995. Never had any significant problems until now.

When I start my engine, it runs fine for about three seconds or so, then dies. It doesn't run rough or anything. It just goes completely dead. It will start right up again, but then the problem repeats. The timing of this occurance exactly matches the time that the instrument panel lights (clock, etc.) come back on after start up.

I have checked the fuel pump pressure (ok) and can not get any trouble codes from the EEC IV. Preliminary tests indicate the coil is putting out spark.

I suspect there must be some kind of problem related to the power transfer from start to run. Because this problem occurs just as the instrument lights go from dim to bright after starting the engine. But I don't really know. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,
John S. - Sacramento

Old 01-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Get a Haynes manual & a cheap digital multimeter, turn the last chapter, & find the test for the ignition switch.

If it tests good, it could be the plastic link bar inside the column wearing out, or a relay, or a loose wire, or the EEC itself. Try swapping the horn relay (if it works) with the EEC PWR relay in the underhood fuse box. Then read these:

If you want the '96 Trucks Ford service CD, e-mail me.

Quick Reply: Engine Starts fine, but then just Dies