4.6 suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4.6 suggestions

This, as can be seen, is my first post on these boards and while I have read several posts not just on engines but other topics as well, I wanted to ask a few quick newbie questions to get myself started on future upgrade and customization decisions.

My wife and I have wanted a truck for a while and recently made the plunge but could not come close to being able to afford what we really wanted so settled for a base '06 F150 s-cab 4x2, 4.6 with 3.55 rear. About the only option the dealer added was a bedliner. I have since installed a Pioneer CD player, otherwise it has "power-nuthin" . No big deal, we love it and it drives really well.

I have had my first oil change recently at a Penzoil oil vendor. My first question is, what are ya'll's thoughts on regular oil vs semi and/or full synthetic and if you recommend one of those, what brand and what duration on the oil change. I assume no less than every 5000 to at least keep the warranty in effect.

I am getting ready to add a FlowMaster dual exhaust. Can anybody give me a ballpark on what I can expect in the way of increased horsepower and fuel mileage?

Lastly and I swear this is it for the time being, if it was you, what would you do next do improve performance as well as fuel economy? Money is definately a factor so major engine upgrades are not in the picture unless the lottery or a rich uncle come knocking. I was thinking more on the lines of air intake to compliment the exhaust system but have no clue what to look for or even if I need to be looking for it.

Last edited by HavocX10; 01-23-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Alright i am in just about the same boat as you, so i have done a good bit of research.

1) Synthetic is very good oil but changing it regularly with standard oil will work fine as long as you arent beating the hell out of your engine.

2) Flowmaster SIDO with chrome tips installed was $300. There is not a whole lot of HP or MPG gain, it is mostly done for looks and sound. You might notice some better throttle response but not too much else.

3) I too am trying to decide which engine mod to go with next. I have narrowed it down to two options. K&N has finally come out with an intake kit for the 4.6, its about $260. They say it will add around 9 HP. So there are some power gains but gas mileage i can not be sure about. Sure, you are letting your engine breathe, but more air equals more gas. The other option is a programmer, i will be going with Edge but there are others. It runs around $330. The horsepower gains are supposedly around 9ish, but there are other benefits. Like being able to change the computer's tire and gear size, and there are a lot of gauges that can be displayed, and if your truck is like mine there are not a whole lot built in. Do some research and see what fits your needs. I have a feeling i will end up with the Edge first for the gauges and tire calibration.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
you may gain some top end with flow master, but probably will loose some torque.
Its a nice truck and will last you a long time if you take care of it.

I run synthetic blend motorcraft 5w 20 and change every 4-5k usually closer to 4k tho

39,ooo trouble free miles so far and counting

Old 01-24-2007, 10:34 AM
There is not a whole lot of HP or MPG gain, it is mostly done for looks and sound.
Well hell, not that I was getting duals for better fuel economy but, the shop seems to think it is necessary for them to seal-the-deal to make statements to the effect that after I have the duals installed, I will get better gas mileage and see an increase in power. Maybe they are accurate statements but the increase is barely measureable.

Quick Reply: 4.6 suggestions