Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Q Torque

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Q Torque

Does anyone know how these oils compare to Mobil1? Both are half off on the Advance Auto Parts website right now for 5W-20. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The Pennzoil Platinum is most likely the older stock and should be a great basestocked oil. The older formulation has a Gp III, Gp IV, and Gp V in the mix. The newer PP is a mostly Gp III. Considering the controversy concerning Mobil One now being a Gp III, I would say the PP is a better deal at $2.89 QT. The Q series oils are a Gp III blend and not really worth a premium as compared to the PP. The "real" synthetics are becoming harder to find now that the PAOs have become popular for other fluids. You will find that any of the lube oils that remain using a PAO basestock will be going up in price- I'd stock up now on your favorite brand if that is what you are running and like it. Oils like Royal Purple, Amsoil and such have no choice but to go up in price as their raw material costs are going up and going up quickly. Fram said it best- pay me now, or pay me later.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:24 PM
How often do you change your oil? 5k to 7.5k miles they'll be fine. 10k to 15k miles stick with Mobil 1.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't use the quaker state stuff, but hte PP is pretty good oil. No more than 5000 miles

Old 01-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
The Pennzoil Platinum is most likely the older stock and should be a great basestocked oil. The older formulation has a Gp III, Gp IV, and Gp V in the mix. The newer PP is a mostly Gp III. Considering the controversy concerning Mobil One now being a Gp III, I would say the PP is a better deal at $2.89 QT. The Q series oils are a Gp III blend and not really worth a premium as compared to the PP. The "real" synthetics are becoming harder to find now that the PAOs have become popular for other fluids. You will find that any of the lube oils that remain using a PAO basestock will be going up in price- I'd stock up now on your favorite brand if that is what you are running and like it. Oils like Royal Purple, Amsoil and such have no choice but to go up in price as their raw material costs are going up and going up quickly. Fram said it best- pay me now, or pay me later.
This sounds quite authoritative, but could I have a link to a glossary?

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2007, 01:12 PM
i went to quaker state Q torque. much better engine performance less burn off and no more cam followers ticking. and this is going from mobile 1 15,000 mile oil which only lasts about 7-8K highway miles.

Quick Reply: Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Q Torque