Frustrating starting problem in cold weather...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frustrating starting problem in cold weather...

I have been dealing with a frustrating starting problem this winter. When it gets quite cold out, sub-20 degrees, my 99 F150 has some trouble starting sometimes. It is a very intermittent problem. I started out replacing the fuel filter, which seemed to get it running again, but alas, it was just that wonderful intermittent monster. After doing some research here, I listened to make sure the fuel pump was running for a few seconds when I turned the key. It was, so I replaced the idle air control vavle. Again, it started working.

Darned if the thing isn't acting up again. At this point, again intermittently, when I turn the key, the fuel pump does not run. Turning the key off and back on several times eventually gets the fuel pump to run and the truck will start.

So, my question is this: Should I go ahead and replace the fuel pump relay as as my next step? It has been in the shop and they have not been able to find anything wrong.

Kevin

Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Use this as an excused to build a big heated garage to work on your truck in. Tell the wife it is important to the saftey of your vehicles. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-17-2007, 02:53 AM
Kevin,

Maybe it's the ignition switch or something upstream of the relay (although the relay might be a good thing to check too) - or, it could be the pump itself, if it's failing it may take a few kicks to get going....in fact, I'd be surprised if it isn't, although I've seen relays behave that way too - my ex wife's Corolla would sometimes not have dash or tail lights, then after a while, they would come on. Dealers had replaced the same fuse a hundred times of course, they could never reproduce the fault.

Eventually I figured it out - when the lights came on by themselves, you could hear a relay click by the kick panel - then I tried thumping the kick panel and the lights came on. New relay, problem never came back.

Quick Reply: Frustrating starting problem in cold weather...