check engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check engine light on

took truck to autozone and had them check,said the code says it is burning rich on bank 2,the truck is a 1997 f150 supercab with the 4.6,it has 170,000 on it,any ideas on how to fix the problem,any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I would have the code cleared and wait to see if the same code comes back, to be sure . Reason; one bank going out of limits in not very likely.
You want to be as sure as you can what you really have.
It could be an air leak at the intake or the OX sensor is faulty.
Beyond this, it's long ago time to put new OX sensors in anyways, then if the codes come back, look for an intake air leak at all the hoses involved.
This is a loop circuit that take some involved understanding to see why it is likely an air leak at the intake tract.
The code discriptions are not always an accurate (positive discription) but the end result of how a fault get reported.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:07 AM
Could the injectors, or one of them, cause this problem if, say the orifices had become oversized (if that's possible)

Replacing the O2 sensors is probably a good idea anyway, at that mileage - and you may get better fuel economy to boot. Replacing the sensor on my truck made it run like new, and it'd only done 130,000k...but it's older, and hadn't been driven much for quite a while. Age, all those factors all come together. A sensor costs well under $100, and like I said, you may save in gas so they may pay for themselves.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If you get read again - tell us the numbers on the Scan Tool - The Zone doesn't always cipher them right..

Old 01-10-2007, 11:17 PM
couple times I've had that code .On my mustang 4.6 bad plug wire. my truck spark plugs

Old 01-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
A "Rich" code doesn't necessarily mean that the mixture is rich. It means the PCM has reached its maximum LEAN setting, but the O2 sensor is still reporting it as rich.

A true rich condition can result from a stuck-open or leaky injector or fuel pressure that is too high (this would affect both banks). A false rich condition can be due to faulty O2 sensors or other faults.

Steve

Quick Reply: check engine light on