Changing oil and warranties

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing oil and warranties

Long story short, my wife kept putting off getting the oil changed in her 'new' Expy despite my repeated reminders and now it's over the 3k interval recommended for changing it. My question is should I just change it here at home this time and take it to the dealership until the balance of the warranty runs out, or will me changing the oil void the warranty? TIA

Old 12-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Isn't the newer vehicle oil service at 5k intervals? And if you do change it yourself, save the receipt for the oil and filter.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:03 AM
spt
Yes check the interval with your dealership. My wife has a new van and the intervals are 5k.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Sweet. I just called the dealership and the recommended interval is 5k. Whew! Thnaks for the info, I'm still used to everything being 3k for the recommended interval, although I run 5k in my 01 Screw.

Next question, would the tech/dealership have a problem with using a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer in lieu of the 6th quart of oil?

Old 12-29-2006, 09:32 AM
Stated from Ford's owner manual: "Do not use supplemental engine oil additives, cleaners or other engine
treatments. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that
is not covered by Ford warranty."

I haven't seen any reason to use Lucas oil stabilizer, in an engine, it's just not needed.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PONY_DRIVER
Sweet. I just called the dealership and the recommended interval is 5k. Whew! Thnaks for the info, I'm still used to everything being 3k for the recommended interval, although I run 5k in my 01 Screw.

Next question, would the tech/dealership have a problem with using a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer in lieu of the 6th quart of oil?
I still do 3k changes as I have a tendency to run mine pretty hard.

As for the stabilizer, why? The oil used for these vehicles, MC 5W20, is quite good. Also I have seen wording in the OM not to use additives.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:51 AM
Even at the recommended 5K mile interval, the oil in my wife's '06 Expedition is still pretty clean. As the 5W20 is semi-synthetic, I see no reason to put any additives in the oil. As mentioned before, Ford doesn't recommend any oil or gas additives. They really aren't needed.

Quick Reply: Changing oil and warranties