bad vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad vibration

Good day. I have a 04 F150 Supercrew 5.4 4X4 with 35,000 km (approx. 23,000 miles) on it. Lately I have noticed a very bad shudder or vibration that seems to come and go with no set pattern. I took it to the dealer today and told about the problem and they gave me a blank stare back. The tires are good with no seperations. It almost feels like the transfer case is acting up. Has anybody else experienced this? Thanks for your help.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bmason1
Good day. I have a 04 F150 Supercrew 5.4 4X4 with 35,000 km (approx. 23,000 miles) on it. Lately I have noticed a very bad shudder or vibration that seems to come and go with no set pattern. I took it to the dealer today and told about the problem and they gave me a blank stare back. The tires are good with no seperations. It almost feels like the transfer case is acting up. Has anybody else experienced this? Thanks for your help.
That look must be SOP for the dealerships.

Maybe it's a driveline problem. I have had a whole new deiveshaft assembly put in my truck to fix a vibration, but it only happened at certain speeds.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm pickin up bad vibrations.
She's givin me excitations.

If there's no pattern, there's not a whole lot we can tell you. If you can find some way to induce it, or find some speed it happens at, etc. we could probably help a little. If there's a CEL, or it does it when you brake, accelerate, coast, turn, go over 45mph, or whatever, we could probably come up with something. But as it stands, either drive it more until you can find some causation, or leave it at the dealer and hope for the best. It's under warranty so that shouldn't be any big deal.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:00 AM
I had a similar problem awhile back. It would come and go at random and felt like a tire or driveline vibration. Each time it happened I would pull over and check everything I could think of and all would be fine. I would get going again and it would go away in a short time. It turned out to be the little cam actuator inside the park brake. Both sides were siezed up. Don't ask me how or why it caused a vibration but once I fixed that it has never come back. I found the problem to begin with because my park brake didn't work and I googled how to pull it all apart. I found a post where a guy had the same random vibration and found that to be the problem.

This may or may not be your problem but it's something to think about. Does your park brake work ok? If it doesn't hold or release well it might be worth investigating.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:01 AM

Quick Reply: bad vibration