theft light flashing won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theft light blinking

Hi my wife has a 1999 f150 5.4 my wife got out of work one day turned on the truck and it shut off. I headed over thinking all fudge fuel pump may have gone out, so eventually we got the truck towed and took a closer look. Iwas checking for disconnected wire or hoses of any kind everything was fine and dandy. Next checked the battery cables one terminal has a small crack , but while turning key their was enough power to give it some good cranks so eliminated that. Next I jumped in the driver seat tried to connect my obd scanner no power. I disconnected and tried obd on my other truck obd turned on went back to the f150 no power now I happened to look at the gauges again and theft was blinking fast while trying to turn on the truck. I checked both keys to see if I had a bad key both still didn't work reset the battery still didn't work. I set my key in forward position on for about 7-8 mins I notice the theft light wasn't blinking so fast then after several minutes I heard some clicking from the steering column so I tried turning the key truck turned right on been running the truck about 30 mins now and hasn't turned off. I turned the truck off and on about 20 times and no problems well for the obd connector now that's another problem now I'll check obd connection in a few days hopefully everything sets back into place. Hopefully the 7-8 minutes key in start posting works out for yall on the theft blinking light situation good luck

Old 04-18-2015, 10:43 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
OBD2 connector is powered from the cig lighter fuse.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by midkid24
Some of the same problems as others. Turns over strong, but no start. I listened to rear driver wheel well and didn't hear the fuel pump go on. When turning the key the theft light flashes quickly and the odometer shows --------. My problem was fixed with 2 things. 1) got new Powertrain Control Module PCM relay (underhood fuse box location 304). This fixed the odo problem right away, BUT... still wouldn't start. So then 2) got new fuel relay (underhood fuse box location 301). All good.
I know this is 8 years old, but I registered just to say...duuude. This was it. Replacing these two relays cured several ills, including motor shut downs, won't start/theft light, check engine light, odometer...

The key here that people need to be aware of is if any of these symptoms in addition to won't start/theft light are showing their ugly head, it's gotta be the relays. Not sure if you still look at this board midkid, but I registered just to say THANK YOU!

Quick Reply: theft light flashing won't start