4.6 Lifters Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6 Lifters Rattle

Has anyone out there experienced this? 2WD- '97 4.6 w/104K and just a daily driver in the NorthEast. Very religious with the 3,500 mile oil changes (5w-30 Syn Blend), and all other sched maintenance. The rattle was commensurate with RPM: it would raise with engine speed, coming on full at about 1500 rpm, slack off if youo let up, and of course more pronounced if you get on it (which I refrained from). The noise came on rather suddenly @ 104K and initially thought it was the plastic timing chain tensioners, but the Blue Oval man in York Maine says it is the right bank lifters (passide). ~ 800 C-notes for the lifters & followers. - Thanks for the help.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure its not a broken exhaust stud. same ticking, louder when you get on it etc.. i thought i had the same thing wrong, turned out busted exhaust studs

Old 12-04-2006, 01:36 PM
4.6 lifters rattle

Originally Posted by keith97xlt
make sure its not a broken exhaust stud. same ticking, louder when you get on it etc.. i thought i had the same thing wrong, turned out busted exhaust studs
Thanks for the response - I should have included that nothing external was causing the tack-tack - which does graduate to a definitive 'metal-to-metal' as the engine is loaded.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you might want to try to different weight oil. i had a dakota that had stick lifters. actually i drained the oil put 4 quarts of cheap oil and 1 quart tranny fluid atf3 since its a chrylser. anyway threw cheap filter back on, drove around for about 100 miles, tick went away. drained again put good oil and filter.problem solved. this truck had 180k and i was just trying to keep her alive until i had the cash to buy my f150. so i was desperate. just a suggestion.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:40 PM
I had the same thing with my 98 4.6. I had to run at least 89 octane gas and the ticking would stop. A freind who worked at the FORD plant in atlanta(before they shut it down) and used to be a mechanic,told me to try this: Change your oil but instead of 6 qts of oil, use 5 qts oil and 1 qt transmission fluid (any type) and change the oil filter as well. Run with it this way gently for about 200 mile. GENTLY do not put it to the floor.... then change the oil and filter again with all 6 qts of oil. The lifters on this engine are hydraulic and can get trash in them after awhile, transmission fluid is one of the most agressive cleaners there is and will remove any debris in the lifters. You just have to remember that transmission fluid is also an abrasive which is why you can't run the engine hard. Just go slow around town for @ 200 miles. I did this and it worked great. I can now run the lower 87 octane and no more ticking. It cost you an extra five qts of oil and a filter but that's nothing compared to the other option. FYI, my milage was about the same as yours when it started ticking or rattling or whatever you want to call it. You may want to try and run a tank of 93 octane first and see if the noise goes away or at least gets better. GOOD LUCK!!

Old 12-06-2006, 10:06 AM
4.6 Lifters

Thanks for the responses - turned out exactly what I diagnosed originally - lifters - and not the cam chain trensioner - a set of tappets & Rocker arm assembly, and valve cover itself - <part of the baffle inside of it seperated causing more noise> the entire thing co$t 187. more than if I did the job itself - very decent for a dealer - done by a ASE master mech at Starkey Ford in York, ME.

Quick Reply: 4.6 Lifters Rattle