5.4 Liter......Regular or Flex Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 Liter......Regular or Flex Fuel

I am looking at purchasing a new 2007 F-150 in the very near future. I see that the 5.4 liter engine can be ordered as either regular or flex fuel capable. What is the pro's and con's of each choice. I figured that there must be some reason that all of the engines don't just come "flex".

Old 12-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Consumers Reports did a test a short time back with a flex fuel vehicle. I believe it was a Chevy pickup, not sure. Anyway the vehicle they tested used 27% more fuel running on E-85 than when running on straight gasoline. Acceleration was virtually the same with either fuel. Unless you have money to burn (no pun intended) I would buy the non flex fuel pickup. PS I'm just curious, do both engine options sell for the same price.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Yes, the flex and regular fuel motors sell for the same price. I understand that the flex fuel capable motor may not generate as much power or acceleration when you are burning flex fuel. My question is, what are the advantages / disadvantages of buying a regular gasoline motor as opposed to the flex fuel capable motor if you are running regular gasoline in both. Where I live, there is no flex fuel gas stations. However, if I am going to order a new truck, why would I not opt for the flex fuel motor if they cost the same and I am not sure whether I will ever want to burn flex fuel in it. I guess, what I am trying to ask, why don't the Ford dealers order all of their pickups flex fuel capable?

Old 12-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
There is no downside to ordering the flex version even if you never take advanatage of the flex capabilities. The question of why the manufacturers aren't just doing it as a standard feature is a good question.

It's a no-brainer. Buy the one with the future capabilities for the alternate fuel, even if it currently is cheaper to burn dead dinosaurs than pig feed.

When the recent round of hype-induced ethanol plant construction is complete, there will be a glut of ethanol (provided there is sufficient feedstock). Marry that up with either a geopolitical event or a natural disaster and the potential is there for ethanol to actually make immediate economic sense to use as a fuel.

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 12-01-2006 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:02 PM
If I remember right, the acceleration tests(0-?? and the passing time tests such as 45-65mph were the same, in fact the E-85 usually showed a 1/10 second advantage very minor, but still a difference.) But realize it is using a lot more fuel. I will try to find the magazine tonight and post more.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:05 PM
masseyman....so what you are saying is that even when the flex fuel F150 is running on plain gasoline, it still uses more fuel than a non-flex fuel f150?

Old 12-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by bbush
masseyman....so what you are saying is that even when the flex fuel F150 is running on plain gasoline, it still uses more fuel than a non-flex fuel f150?
No. I'm saying it must be programmed to automatically meter more fuel when running on E-85 in order to put out just as much power (as pure gasoline) at full throttle on E-85. To put it another way, in normal driving you would use the 27% more E-85 (that I mentioned earlier) but you would feel no noticeable difference in power. I hope you can follow my drift.

Quick Reply: 5.4 Liter......Regular or Flex Fuel