Starting problem - Clean MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Starting problem - Clean MAF?

I have been having an intermittent starting problem with my 1999 5.4L,4x4, 92k miles, K&N air filter

Randomly it wouldn't start (it will crank strong but no start) and recently it wouldn't start for a week so I had it towed and it was diagnosed with a fuel pump because there was no fuel pressure even though I could hear the pump running on start (also, new fuel filter within 3k miles). The new fuel pump fixed the problem for about 2 weeks, but now it won't start again.

I've read a lot about a dirty MAF with a K&N filter, could this be causing the problem or something else?

Very frustrated.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well all engines need 3 things to start. spark, fuel and compression. you could try cleaning m.a.f sensor. if that was bad it would run like crap and send a check engine light.i dont think that has much to do with starting.your air filter isnt clogged is it?

Old 11-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well all engines need 3 things to start. spark, fuel and compression. you could try cleaning m.a.f sensor. if that was bad it would run like crap and send a check engine light.i dont think that has much to do with starting.your air filter isnt clogged is it?. it could br battery dying, bad coil. im just throwing out ideas. hell maybye you got a defective pump,i went thru 3 alternators in like 5 days on my old dakota.kept getting defective ones.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 11-27-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:09 PM
You're probably right, but I cleaned it anyway. I checked the fuel pressure valve while I cranked the engine and it only oozed out, so I'm not getting any pressure. I don't know if there's anything else besides a fuel pump that might be giving me an issue, but I just replaced it. Help!

Old 11-28-2006, 08:12 PM
I got 2 bad fuel pumps in a row. But that was on a GrandAm. So it can happen. Take it back to the shop that replaced the pump, see if they can put a pressure gauge on it.

Quick Reply: Starting problem - Clean MAF?