Chewbacca

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chewbacca

Chewbacca...That's the best way that I can describe the noise my intake is making...or rather that is coming out of my intake.

About 2 years ago (in South Carolina) I installed a K&N FIPK in my 2002 SCREW (4.6L). I got decent added power, saw no real increase in fuel milage, but what I loved was the SOUND.

Now living in WA I get a "noise" that comes out of the intake at random times (meaning doesn't always do it when the truck is doing any particular thing). However, it never happens in the summer...only when it's cold.

HELP!!

I don't think that the noise is indicative of anything detrimental going on inside the engine...but it makes my "Gina" sound like a PIZA.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
How many miles has it been since you cleaned the filter? what are some of the conditions (specific) when it happens (most often), cold air temp, engine hot, in gear, under load, etc....
-Patrick

Old 11-27-2006, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
How many miles has it been since you cleaned the filter? what are some of the conditions (specific) when it happens (most often), cold air temp, engine hot, in gear, under load, etc....
-Patrick
thanks for the quick reply.

clean the filter every time I get the oil changed...about a month ago most recently.

as for conditions, there really are none...does it at idle and going 70 down the freeway, sometimes it doesnt do it for a week or so...The only consistant thing I have is cold. Only when the air temp around the vehicle is cold does it go Chewy on me.

Thanks again

-Dan

Old 11-27-2006, 12:51 AM
Global Moderator &

You may try pulling the intake off the TB and see what condition the TB and valve are in. there may be significant carbon build up on them that you are getting the weird harmonics from.
-Patrick

Old 11-27-2006, 12:54 AM
wouldn't have thought of that...will do that tomorrow after work and will update after that.

Thanks again Patrick.

-Dan

Old 11-27-2006, 01:09 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Dan K
wouldn't have thought of that...will do that tomorrow after work and will update after that.

Thanks again Patrick.

-Dan
yah it will give you something to try, cant gaurantee it will fix it, but at the same time, wont hurt to clean it all out anyways. Just dont get too **** with it and start really tearing into it all. Somepeople go as far as pulling the intake manifold off the truck so they can clean it perfectly, without dropping chit down into the cylinders.
-Patrick

Quick Reply: Chewbacca