Help with coolant leak diagnosis...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with coolant leak diagnosis...

Howdy,

Help me recall my basic car care!

If I am seeing a slow but steady coolant leak that only happens after the engine has warmed up, doesn't that mean it only reaches the leak once the thermostat has opened up?

In other words, doesn't it mean the problem is probably not the water pump, head gasket, etc?

All I know so far, is it is far enough forward that when it leaks, the coolant burns off, can be seen on the oil pan and sway bar, and I can smell it burning off.

The truck is not overheating.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Check the water pump weep hole.

Old 01-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no, it does not. The reason it is only dripping out when hot is because when the system is hot it is under pressure. If it is cold, it is not under pressure, so less chance of a leak. I agree w/expy, check the waterpump. Also check all the clamps, make sure they're still tight and look at the hoses for any abnormalities.

I'd bet it's not the headgasket because if a headgasket leaks it more often than not leaks into the combustion chamber, not to the outside.

If you still can't find it buy some UV dye and put that in there. With a uv flashlight and yellow glasses the leaking spot will jump right out at you!

Old 01-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Water Pump it is...

It was the water pump.

The truck is in the "hospital" tonight and will come home tomorrow with a new water pump, thermostat and drive belt.

I was hearing a "tick" for the past few weeks but thought it was too soft to be caused by a failing pump bearing. Now I suspect the ticking was the water pump letting me know it was about to runneth over!

No big deal; with 94,000 on the clock, I was planning on doing a pre-emptive water pump replacement soon anyhow.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Help with coolant leak diagnosis...