techron fuel additive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question techron fuel additive?

Hi All, I just added techron to the fuel in my 99 f150 I never used it but my mechanic recomended I run a bottle through to clean the injectors.

is this the best product or should I use something else next time.

Old 07-02-2004, 11:02 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
If you use the type that is recommended for once per year use and it costs around $10/bottle, then you got the right stuff. The cheaper stuff is not as good and is recommended for use about every 3k miles.
Valvoline also sells the good stuff. I recently bought it at Autozone for $9/bottle. It is called Complete Fuel System Treatment and is recommende for use every 12k miles. I have used both the Techron and Valvoline with good results. I haven't seen the good Techron on the shelves in quite a while. That's why I switched to Valvoline.

Old 07-03-2004, 12:09 AM
Re: techron fuel additive?

Originally posted by njemt
Hi All, I just added techron to the fuel in my 99 f150 I never used it but my mechanic recomended I run a bottle through to clean the injectors.

is this the best product or should I use something else next time.
I've used it in all of my old trucks, and my parents Volvo dealership swears by the stuff. Try to use it right before an oil change. When you change the oil, look at how black it is...all of that gunk was inside your beast!

Old 07-03-2004, 10:30 AM
I have used it before it works good but i used seafoam last time and i think that seafoam did a much brtter job

Old 07-03-2004, 08:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I have also used the techron (concentrate) for cleaning the engine and like it.

I switched to Seafoam because it cost's less and Seafoam works as well if not better than the techron.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:50 AM
After reading the posts about seafoam I put a can into the gas tank and noticed a small increase in gas milage. That seems to me like an indication that it did clean the injectors and fuel system. Next oil change I'm going to vacuum line method with 8 oz of sea foam. I've heard people swear by Marvel Mystery Oil too. It is a cheap preventative maintenance. About $3.00 a bottle and it will treat 3 tanks of gas.

Quick Reply: techron fuel additive?