Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V6 Engines (including Ecoboost)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 10-27-2001, 01:50 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 FORD F150
Question Make my truck faster...Please!!

I have a 99 F150 XL with the 4.2. It is an automatic but I want it to be faster. Some one please write me and let me know how to make this thing move!!! I have read other members stories on how they have smoked V8's and everything and I want a piece of that!! Write me back and give me some suggestions!! The only things I have are a K&N Air Filter and Flowmaster Exhaust. I have alot of other cosmetic add on's but nothing under the hood. I appreciate all suggestions!! Have a great day!!- Andrew
Old 10-27-2001, 04:12 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-150
reply for faster truck

I know how you feel , I've got a 1999 F-150 Supercab V6 4.2 and I've been trying to get everything out of it... Anybody will tell you,just like they told me, that new rear end gears will give you the most noticable performance increase. You can go out and get a supercharger but that costs a arm and a leg. For a reasonable price you can install a lower ratio rear end ring and pinion gears and get more horsepower. Thats what I'm in the process of doing right now. Also a new chip would give you some performance. If you do put in new gears your fuel effieciency gonna suffer a liitle.

I hope I've been some help..

Boot
Old 10-27-2001, 06:02 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
Get a Superchip, they are the best thing to invest in and give you the best power increase untill you start looking at nitrous or superchargers.
Old 10-29-2001, 01:33 PM
Suspended
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 ford f150
gears and a chip are a great place to start with your truck
Old 10-29-2001, 04:32 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F-150
Talking

Usually the top 3 mods first done are performance exhaust, intake system (FIPK or drop in K&N), and the chip. once those are done people usually move onto the other stuff like gears, ignition, and so on. Good luck with your truck. I've done the first 2 on my list, and have much better response. Next will be the chip for me, as well as a FIPK.
5 speed manual
3.55 limited slip

Performance:
Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flow SI/SO
K&N airfilter

Accessories:
Class III hitch
Extang snap bedcover
Bedliner
Clifford alarm
Window tint
Old 10-29-2001, 04:32 PM