timing issue 1996 f150 4.9 liter

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing issue 1996 f150 4.9 liter

putting in a new distributer before i do i wanted to make sure everything was ligned up as for the specs /info i researched crankshaft tdc is at zero abd should be lined up with pointer not markings on timing belt cover the number 1 cylinder should be on up stroke and rotor shoud be pointing towards number 1 cylinder?if this is true then mine is not correct its pointing to the 2 on cap or 6 on cylinder. im just trying to make sure i dont mess anything up.fyi i have not taken the old distributer out.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your crankshaft or the front pulley on the engine will go around twice for every revolution of the rotor. So if your rotor is pointing at the number 6 cylinder now and you rotate the engine one revolution the rotor will then be pointing at the number one cylinder on the distributor cap.

The firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. You can see number 6 is halfway between the number 1.

Line up the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley with the 0 on the timing tab. Then check to see if the rotor is pointing to number 1 on the distributor cap. If not give the engine one revolution.

After you achieve that, take the key out so the engine doesn't turn over. Make some marks where the rotor is pointing on the distributor housing and also the distributor body in relation to what it sits on before you loosen the distributor hold down bolt.

You can use the bolt on the front of the crankshaft to line up the marks easier. I'm sure I said a lot of things you already knew I just wanted to explain things. Any more questions just ask.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:29 AM
I knew few but wasnt sure enough to threw with it.I want to say thank you very much you are the first one to take the time to answer me and I have posted a few places. I will let you know if I get stuck.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:24 PM
more info

i had more more question,on bottom of the distributer gear there is looks like an straight allen wrench which didnt come in new 0ne so i knock out this roll pin but it still wont break lose any idea on getting this off?

Last edited by shadetreeatbest; 03-25-2016 at 01:49 PM. Reason: ? wasn't complete
Old 03-25-2016, 01:48 PM
The what looks like allen wrench below gear on distributor any idea on how to take it off?

Quick Reply: timing issue 1996 f150 4.9 liter