Blown Ecoboost engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown Ecoboost engine

Just want to share my experience with my ecoboost. Absolutely loved the truck until today. I have a 2011 f150 ecoboost. 130000km on it. I was driving down a gravel road 2 days ago and the engine misfired a few times and then felt like it went into limp mode, no power. Backed off on the throttle then gave it again and seemed fine. Got to a stop sign and heard the dredded ticking/knocking coming from engine. It drove fine other than ticking another 30km straight to the dealership. Dealer told me engine is toast, metal filings all through the bottom end. No idea what caused it. They would probably charge me a ton to tear it apart to determine the cause so not worth it. I was quoted 15k for the replacement (canadian). Ouch. Reason for my post is don't buy one of these trucks used off warranty unless you have lots of money in case you need to fix it. This issue seems to be coming to light more often now that they have been around for a few years and there are more high milers out there. I still love the truck and will probably be trading it in as is for a new ecoboost lol but I have the money to play with as I use this strictly for business (company pays for it). I am going to get the extended warranty this time and trade it in before its up. Really sucks as I almost traded in last week and would have saved the 15k. I looked into a used engine and a backyard mechanic but apparently it isnt pheasible. From what I understand pulling the engine is damn difficult and used ones are impossible to find.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My POS ecoboost did that at 2000 mile. Ticking knocking and lots of shavings in pan and filter. New motor under warranty. first complaints to dealer was **** poor mileage,ticking and knocking. took blowing it up and ford rep to get them to look at it. so far new motor running ok,i think, mileage still sucks,better but sucks. I am definatly trading before war. runs out, and unless things at ford changes it won't be for another ford. and positively will not go back to Parkway Ford in cedar city Utah. Ford don't care.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i feel for you, I have 2012 F150 with blown motor at 61500 miles and ford is saying they wont fix since i am out of powertrain warranty. I was thinking about getting a new truck with ecoboost since the 5 liter blew up on me. Now im not sure maybe time for Ram

Quick Reply: Blown Ecoboost engine