anyone have Ford manual for 1999 4.2L?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone have Ford manual for 1999 4.2L?

Not Chilton's or Haynes, the Ford Workshop manual page for spark plug replacement in 4.2L.
Just trying to find out if 7-14 ft lbs (81-168 in lbs) is what Ford recommends for the spark plugs. I've also heard 11-14 ft lbs. I torque them on the low side, so would like to know what Ford recommends to avoid blow out.
Although I've heard the V6 casting is better than the V8, it's still an aluminum head, and I don't know how forgiving they are when it comes to loose plugs. Something you could get away with on cast iron heads (I never torqued a spark plug on my old cars), if the plug loosened, you just tightened it up. I'm concerned aluminum threads may not tolerate the abuse.
Thanks. Although I appreciate all responses, I am aware that many people do not torque plugs, etc., etc., and that's fine, but I prefer to torque them in aluminum.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford manual

I have and use the 2003 Workshop Manual with my 99 4.2L.

It gives the torque as 11 lb-ft. Notice a single number, not a range.

In a note, it cautions to put a reused plug back in the cylinder it came from.

It also recommends blowing out the spark plug well before removing the plug.

It recommends silicone grease for the inside of spark plug wire, but does not recommend anti-seize for the threads, still, I try to always use it.

This is late. I hope it helps.

Bobby

Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The dielectric grease helps with corrosion. Be careful with aluminum anti- seize.

Quick Reply: anyone have Ford manual for 1999 4.2L?