New F150 ecoboost - engine fans stuck on high

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fishface54
these fans are way to loud .i'm going back to the dealer to bitch
my 2014 has less than 1000 miles this noise is ridiculous
Originally Posted by fishface54
I never heard such a fan noise on any vehicle in my life not even 1000 miles on it .It's going back to the dealer this is ridiculous
Originally Posted by azmidget91
...Also, Old Ford, good luck with the V8, they have the same fan speed strategy...

People complain about the A/C not working.
People complain about the fan being too loud.
The same people don't understand it takes a lot of air movement for the A/C to work.

The real question is why do you have the window down when the A/C is on? Roll the window up and you won't hear the fan.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old ford
I just bought a new 2014 F150 with the V6 Ecoboost. First V6 in my big truck and I am so unhappy with this fan issue. We can be stopped at a red light and the fan kicks into high gear

I really don't care if this is 'usual' - it is annoying. My new truck has 850 miles on it, we live in Florida where we are just starting into the warm weather and there is no way I can put up with this!

Today it ran for the majority of my trip in town. People next to me would look thinking there was some jet engine next to them.

I have never experienced anything like this and am very unhappy.

I am trading this thing in for a V8. I should have looked here first prior to buying and the dealership sold me on the increased power and fuel economy of the V6 - the fuel economy sucks and the power is nothing to write to mom about.

My e-fans make a little noise when temp is aove 100 degrees f, with AC on max. Although, nothing overly loud.

My brother just purchased a SCrew EB in TX a few weeks ago, and waiting to see how his truck does in the hot DFW summer traffic. He refused to test drive a 5.0L because the dealer had an over abundance of EB trucks, and sold him on the power and gas mileage hype. Many people have complained about poor mileage, but a heavy foot doesn't help, especially in a 5,500 pound pickup.

If you are receiving poor fuel mileage, try Chevron or Shell.

Last edited by Blue07STX; 06-22-2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: content
Old 06-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie

People complain about the A/C not working.
People complain about the fan being too loud.
The same people don't understand it takes a lot of air movement for the A/C to work.

The real question is why do you have the window down when the A/C is on? Roll the window up and you won't hear the fan.
Yes, it does take a lot of airflow to keep the truck cool in stop and go summer traffic.

The Mark VIII fan on my Gen 1 Lightning is louder than my 2011 F150 dual fans. The single fan on my wifes 2011 Fusion is as loud, if not louder than, the Mark VIII fan.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:53 AM
As said earlier in the thread, the high fan speed is "normal" on 13-14 trucks. The reason is because they were getting complaints on the AC performance, so they had to increase fan speed when over 100* ambient and AC on. These trucks have huge cabs, it takes a lot to cool them off....

Also, Old Ford, good luck with the V8, they have the same fan speed strategy...
AZ:
It is true that the fan does kick on and is just as loud with my new V8 BUT... the engine does not need to work as hard so it only kicks on occasionally plus only for a few minutes at a time... not for hours when driving in the city.

I am so happy with my V8 compared with the V6 that I dumped.

Gayle

Old 06-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Blue07STX
My e-fans make a little noise when temp is aove 100 degrees f, with AC on max. Although, nothing overly loud.

My brother just purchased a SCrew EB in TX a few weeks ago, and waiting to see how his truck does in the hot DFW summer traffic. He refused to test drive a 5.0L because the dealer had an over abundance of EB trucks, and sold him on the power and gas mileage hype. Many people have complained about poor mileage, but a heavy foot doesn't help, especially in a 5,500 pound pickup.

If you are receiving poor fuel mileage, try Chevron or Shell.
Hi Blue:

The dealer originally sold me on the power and gas mileage and the abundance of EB to choose from. Needless to say, I know better now.

I am happy with my V8, not that it is any quieter with the fan running but the fan doesn't run near as much and the temps here in Florida have reached the 90's daily.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:59 AM
AZ:
It is true that the fan does kick on and is just as loud with my new V8 BUT... the engine does not need to work as hard so it only kicks on occasionally plus only for a few minutes at a time... not for hours when driving in the city.

I am so happy with my V8 compared with the V6 that I dumped.

Gayle
Hi Blue:

The dealer originally sold me on the power and gas mileage and the abundance of EB to choose from. Needless to say, I know better now.

I am happy with my V8, not that it is any quieter with the fan running but the fan doesn't run near as much and the temps here in Florida have reached the 90's daily.
So you are saying that your fan doesn't stay on like your ecoboost did while in 90* weather. That's awesome because at 100* they stay on constantly just like the ecoboost at 100*. Like I said before, the fan strategy is based off the A/C system, not the engine.

Here is a screen shot of the comparison of a 2011 on the left and 2013 on the right. Ambient temperature plotted against A/C line pressure to show the fan speed percentage.

Like I said before good luck with your V8, i hate the ecoboost as much as anybody else, but the full speed fan on a hot day is not because of the engine.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:24 PM
I have a 2013 F150 with the 5.0 and the fans have been very loud since (almost) the day I bought it new.

I also have a 2009 Ford Flex with the V6 (non-ecoboost) and those fans did the exact same thing - it's just part of the design (good or bad.)

So, for those wanting to switch from EcoBoost to V8 - it's not going to solve your issue of a loud set of fans.

The A/C temp in my 2013 F150 and '09 Flex is nothing like what my '99 F150 is. I blame that mostly on the government regulations that are forcing less-than-optimal refrigerant products onto the manufacturers.

Now, when I had a Ram 1500 Hemi rental while my F150 was recently in the shop it did not have loud fans (as a matter of fact it had absolutely no fan noise whatsoever.) I'm sure the Ram uses a different fan, fan design, etc than that of the Fords but it sure was nice not hearing the fans blasting even in moderately warm temperatures we've been having in North Texas.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Can't say I've ever really noticed the fan noise AT ALL with the windows up and A/C on...can't here it at all on my 2014 ecoboost F150. When I get out of the truck, yes I can absolutely hear the fans...but it doesn't sound like an airplane or anything. Just a normal electric fan noise that I've noticed from other cars/trucks too. No big deal.

As far as power and fuel economy goes, my 2014 ecoboost absolutely does have much more power and is quite a bit better on fuel than my old 2004 5.4L Lariat I traded in. I have nothing but good things to say about the ecoboost. Your experience may vary and I do realize (having worked in a car dealer with my dad - he was a Porsche/Audi mechanic and I just cleaned the shop as a teen)...there are many different types of customers. Some will bitch about any little squeak they hear when hitting a pot hole and others will spend over 100k on a Porsche and let their dog ruin the leather seats because they just don't care. So...I've learned to take what others say with a grain of salt and only worry my specific situation :-) It's good to hear other people's legit complaints though because that makes for an informed buyer when you research new vehicles to buy. you know, problems reported such as the old misfire/low power situation in humid/wet conditions due to too much moisture buildup in the CAC. Seems that's fixed now in the later designs/tunes.

Anyway...as long as my fans are doing their job, I'm happy. Oh and one last thing. I don't get the mediocre A/C situation. I can get in my grandfather's 2006 Silverado W/T and that thing almost instantly blows ice cubes out of the vents on a really hot day at start-up. I've never understood why my old 2004 had not so good A/C and my 2014 is noticeably better, but still not as cold as that Silverado my relative has. But it's good enough....so I'm not complaining. Just comparing :-)

Old 07-15-2014, 12:42 PM
As said earlier in the thread, the high fan speed is "normal" on 13-14 trucks. The reason is because they were getting complaints on the AC performance, so they had to increase fan speed when over 100* ambient and AC on. These trucks have huge cabs, it takes a lot to cool them off....

Also, Old Ford, good luck with the V8, they have the same fan speed strategy...
Interesting, my 2013 which cools in the morning and not so well in the afternoon, weather under 95, my fans come on now almost all of the time.

This just started July 2014 and I never had this problem prior to this month.

Took to dealer to have ac checked and spoke about the fans. They said all is normal and they refused to check for correct freon levels by removal and checking what was removed.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:11 AM
This looks like a software fix for an undersized A/C system.

Something to be aware of - when systems changed from R12 to R134a the system efficiency went way down. R134a has to be run at a higher pressure to achieve the same results as R12. This made some older systems like those in Ford Rangers / Explorers almost too small to cool effectively. It also caused more wear and tear on compressors and more fuel consumption as the system had to work harder. Leave it to environmental policy to fix one thing (R12) and replace it with something else (higher fuel consumption).

Anyway - these vehicles are really large and hard to cool. I imagine that the AC system is undersized for the Crew Cab version and has to be run at a higher pressure - requiring that the fans blow more air across the condenser to take more heat out of the system.

I don't know if it's a design flaw or change to components... if the components are undersized then the cheapest thing for Ford to do is up the pressure and make the fans run fast.

Finally... Comparing a modern system like the F150 cooling system to an older system in another vehicle is apples and oranges. The older system may have been oversized for the application.

I'm sympathetic with Ford on this one. A global upgrade to all F150s would be cost prohibitive in the world we now live in... they were probably forced to buy or contract the systems for years to come... plus there's environmental liabilities and certifications.

This isn't the America of yesterday - and you see it everywhere you turn. At least Ford is still innovating and selling such a great platform as the Ecoboost F-150.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by jon_herr
This looks like a software fix for an undersized A/C system.

Something to be aware of - when systems changed from R12 to R134a the system efficiency went way down. R134a has to be run at a higher pressure to achieve the same results as R12. This made some older systems like those in Ford Rangers / Explorers almost too small to cool effectively. It also caused more wear and tear on compressors and more fuel consumption as the system had to work harder. Leave it to environmental policy to fix one thing (R12) and replace it with something else (higher fuel consumption).

Anyway - these vehicles are really large and hard to cool. I imagine that the AC system is undersized for the Crew Cab version and has to be run at a higher pressure - requiring that the fans blow more air across the condenser to take more heat out of the system.

I don't know if it's a design flaw or change to components... if the components are undersized then the cheapest thing for Ford to do is up the pressure and make the fans run fast.

Finally... Comparing a modern system like the F150 cooling system to an older system in another vehicle is apples and oranges. The older system may have been oversized for the application.

I'm sympathetic with Ford on this one. A global upgrade to all F150s would be cost prohibitive in the world we now live in... they were probably forced to buy or contract the systems for years to come... plus there's environmental liabilities and certifications.

This isn't the America of yesterday - and you see it everywhere you turn. At least Ford is still innovating and selling such a great platform as the Ecoboost F-150.
Thanks I fully understand the difference in R12 and 134A and loss of cooling. Before I retired, I had GM truck vehicles and did not have this problem.

It is my understanding that Ford did this for better gas mileage, which I don't see either.

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2014, 08:41 AM
Spoke with 2 neighbors yesterday, 2013 and 2012 and both said the AC was just OK and that they did not have the constant on/off of the cooling fans like mine.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:33 PM
Banned
Ecoboost drama

Anyone else have the stuttering engine failure followed by a blown coil? I am on number 7.

https://www.facebook.com/ecoboosts?s...2f4dab77638418

Old 07-26-2014, 11:35 AM
I've got a 2014 SVT Raptor, and it has the same issue. I hate it. I've had a 2005, 2008, and 2010 F150 and none of them have the always-on fan like these new Fords. Their fans were just as loud, granted, but they didn't turn on until they needed to, and the AC wasn't impacted at all by it.

All said and done, this is an issue, and an embarrassing one at that. I can't even order fast food through a drive through without turning off my truck. Worst of all, I can't even enjoy my intake or exhaust I put on because the fan is so loud. Ford really needs to do something about this. This is not okay.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FillintheBlank
I've got a 2014 SVT Raptor, and it has the same issue. I hate it. I've had a 2005, 2008, and 2010 F150 and none of them have the always-on fan like these new Fords. Their fans were just as loud, granted, but they didn't turn on until they needed to, and the AC wasn't impacted at all by it.

All said and done, this is an issue, and an embarrassing one at that. I can't even order fast food through a drive through without turning off my truck. Worst of all, I can't even enjoy my intake or exhaust I put on because the fan is so loud. Ford really needs to do something about this. This is not okay.
Well 2005 and 2008. Had clutch fans so there is that reason.

Quick Reply: New F150 ecoboost - engine fans stuck on high