Replacing plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing plug wires

Hi Team,

I have a 2002 Ford F150 V6 that just flipped 100k and I am interested in replacing the wires/plugs. I just purchased the vehicle so I can't tell you when the last time or if they have ever been replaced but I have a hesitation I'm trying to alleviate. I took a quick look underneath the hood and noticed that one of the plug wire harness is in a difficult spot to get to (to say the least). From the passenger side on the coil pack, it wraps around to the back of the motor (basically about 10" underneath the engine compartment) then out to the driver side plugs. It leaves me about 2" of clearance and can't get my hands back there to do anything. The plugs themselves seem easy enough to get to.

My question is...is it ok to remove the black plastic cap off the intake manifold so I can get to the harness to replace the plugs? Maybe there is an easier way to get to that harness?

Thanks all!

Old 05-07-2013, 05:23 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Are you talking about the "doghouse" that covers the throttle body and linkage? Pull it and toss it, mine's been gone for years. It snaps together, and once you pop it apart to get it off, it probably won't snap back together anyway.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks GLC for the response.

I think I know what your talking about...the smaller square plastic garbage they put on top of the linkage. Your right, mine is halfway off aleady.

However it's the larger plastic cap that sits right on top of the engine. Im not even sure if taking it off will give me any additional clearance anyway.

I went ahead replaced the plugs anyway but getting to the cables out looks to be a pain in the ***. They look to be in good condition so maybe I'll just leave good enough alone at this point.

Thanks again...

Mike

Old 05-08-2013, 02:36 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Take it off if it's half off anyway - it can jam the throttle linkage open, been there done that! Scared the crap out of me.

You must be talking about the intake plenum - leave it alone unless you start getting lean codes and have to change the plenum gaskets and isolator bolts anyway. Getting around it is a pain but it can be done. Just so you know, I don't change my own wires but the dealer has done it for me. I have heard of people rerouting the wires over the top, I've asked for pics but nobody has provided any.

Quick Reply: Replacing plug wires