Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V6 Engines (including Ecoboost)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 12-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford E150
4.2 misfire / miss / spark knock when warm

I've got a 99 4.2 throwing a code of P0303 (#3 misfire). This things runs fine until warmed up, then misses at light throttle. Under moderate/heavy acceleration it runs fine. I've changed plugs, plug wires, coil pack, and coolant temp sensor to no avail.
During troubleshooting I stubled upon something -- When I disconnected the temp sensor (at back of driver's side head) the miss went away and the truck ran beautifully. I suppose this made the ECM think the engine is cold. This has to be a significant discovery, but I'm not sure what it means. I can rule out mechanical issues? I'm looking to the EGR system next. Has anyone had similar issues? What fixed it?
Mike Allred
Old 12-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Try changing your coolant? Just a guess.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Update: EGR valve is off schedule.. Took a spin with EGR valve vacuum line disconnected and the thing runs great. I then checked the DPFE sensor and found it faulty - when backprobing the "signal" wire from sensor, it was stuck at approximately 1.10 volts. Properly working sensor is supposed to be .2-.7 volts with cold engine and 4.0-6.0 vdc when at operating temp. Guess I'll try a DPFE sensor unless anyone has a better idea. I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Allred
Update: EGR valve is off schedule.. Took a spin with EGR valve vacuum line disconnected and the thing runs great. I then checked the DPFE sensor and found it faulty - when backprobing the "signal" wire from sensor, it was stuck at approximately 1.10 volts. Properly working sensor is supposed to be .2-.7 volts with cold engine and 4.0-6.0 vdc when at operating temp. Guess I'll try a DPFE sensor unless anyone has a better idea. I'll keep everyone updated.
Now that I think back... When my DPFE went bad, I had terrible spark knock/pinging. After the new one was put on, no more spark knock. Sounds like you're on the right path.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:05 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Hazard269 Send a message via Yahoo to Hazard269
I didn't have any problems when my DPFE went bad, but I am having a missing problem like you metioned. I have a bit of a rought idle, but once it warms up it is fine. However, I do have a bit of a miss/slip under light acceleration around 45-60 MPH, but I thought it was from the transmission.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard269
I didn't have any problems when my DPFE went bad, but I am having a missing problem like you metioned. I have a bit of a rought idle, but once it warms up it is fine. However, I do have a bit of a miss/slip under light acceleration around 45-60 MPH, but I thought it was from the transmission.
Sounds like your IAC is sticking. Try cleaning it out with throttle body cleaner, and then spray a few shots of WD-40 in it.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Hello I am new to this forum. I have a 97 F 150 with the 4.2 and I am having an ongoing problem that sounds like the DPFE sensor but am not getting any codes. I thought it might be fuel but sounds more like what you are talking about. Could I get this miss without a code? Seems to be in at lower speeds on acceleration, light or heavy doesnt seem to matter. Just a quick miss then it goes away. Also doesnt matter if warm or not. Thanks for the info SAC
Old 01-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
SAC , wait for the code, The quickest way to get a light is to push the motor harder. Babying it gives the computer time to adjust within it's default parameters. If you push it , you don't give it the necessary time , your type of miss will be hard to detect for the comp, you have to push it - It's called forcing a light.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Update: DPFE sensor changed and didn't fix the problem. Still pinging, missing, etc. I pulled the vacuum line off the EGR valve and it's smooth as a kitten. Danf EGR valve's still off schedule. What else has direct control of the EGR? Beat me... The DPFE sensor I tried was an Autozone piece.... hmmmmm..
Old 01-16-2007, 06:59 AM
Garage is empty, add now

I had the same problem with my 4.2, then when i went to get the running diagnostic done, it cleared up by itself. I think the injectors were causing my problem. just FYI..
Old 01-16-2007, 06:59 AM