2004 4R75W Tranny Woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 09:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 4R75W Tranny Woes

Hi guys, New to this forum. Searched for an answer to my problem and can't find an answer. Here is goes. 2004 F150 NBS 5.4 with the 4R75W tranny. Rebuilt a little over a year ago at 207000 miles. I'm at 219000 miles now. I'm very mechanically inclined, just not super smart on transmission issues .Here's the symptoms. When I first start off in the morning or the transmission is cold, it shifts great. As soon as it warms up I loose OD.I can most of the time manually get OD to catch but at a little bit higher RPMs when changing gears .If I let it slowly swap gears I hit ODands it goes to neutral. It's almost like the fluid thins out and starts bypassing somewhere in the valve body. That's the only part I didn't swap out when the transmission was rebuilt. I did have the sonnax cure kit installed on the rebuild. Does this sound like a valve body issue to y'all? I've read documents where the piston wears out the valve and starts bypassing the OD. I've checked the OD servo clips and all are intact. No other issues with the truck but that .Thoughts?

Old 09-28-2015, 06:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a little update. Was finally able to break everything down yesterday. I replaced the 2-3 accumulator and spring (which was shot) and also went ahead and swapped the OD servo and installed a new Sonnax OD servo pin. I'm telling you right now trying to set the OD pin to the OD Band was a major headache with just one person. If you ever have to do this make sure you have a helper, it woudve gone much faster. Keep in mind I had already installed a remanned valve body three weeks ago which didn't help. When I pulled the OD servo, the band looked like it was in place where it should 've been and the servo seal itself looked good, but I guess there was a bad spot somewhere. Who knows. It's done, fixed, and another headache I don't have to deal with anymore for the time being. I would like to give Darrin Burch a major shout out for his guidance and new parts. If you ever need a very knowledgeable guy on transmissions, this is your guy, not to mention if I ever need a complete transmission, it's coming from him.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumping

​​​My trans recently went out on me had a pan full of metal before it went out I would get a intermittent thump that sounded rotational when at slow speeds after replaceing the trans and flushing the cooler the new trans now has a hard time wanting to pull in reverse or drive unless the fluid is over 100 degrees I cleared all my learn tables and drive it and after 4 days the thumping came back and you can feel it like something is hitting the bottom of my floor board I have a 05 f150 xlt extended cab with a 5.4 and the 4r75 in it any ideas what could be doing this cause I’m thinking I have a bad trans again

Old 01-07-2019, 08:42 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben Ford
​​​ after replaceing the trans and flushing the cooler the new trans now has a hard time wanting to pull in reverse or drive unless the fluid is over 100 degrees
What did you replace your transmission with? Used transmission? Rebuilt transmission? Remanufactured transmission? Who did the work? You or a shop?

Quick Reply: 2004 4R75W Tranny Woes